what heads do you like?

txstang84

15 Year Member
May 21, 2005
Tuscola, tx
Hey again fellas, here lately, I've noticed several places poo-pooing the Edelbrock RPM heads (not here specifically)...basically saying they're not worth a damn...now, I've never had any of the other heads (TFS, World, Dart, etc, etc) but going from a set of ported E7TE's to the Edelbrocks for me was a night and day difference-there wasn't one aspect of the performance I noticed that didn't get better. I understand that AFR pretty much has the best port profiling (duhh, CNC) and what not, but after a short examination of some of the running gear on the AFR 185's, I discovered they use "ok" springs and heavyweight valves...even my machinist said they use sub-par springs for anything over about 6,000rpms-because of the valvetrain weight-in roller cam apps.

also, probably about a year and some months ago, MM&FF did another one of their famous "head comparo's"...according to what they found the 'brocks didn't do terrible by any stretch of the imagination...of course, since AFR's made some of the biggest power gains by fair comparisons (by port volume), it seems like everyone said ptooey to alot of the other aftermarket head mfr's, with the exception of TFS...they still hold their own quite well. I personally have never had a moments problem with mine, and I didn't have to buy specific rockers or pushrods to swap them.

I guess the point to this one is, what do some of you more tenured engine builders/speed enthusiast's prefer? Based on impartial research, which ones are the best for the average enthusiast to invest in without breaking the bank, and able to keep longevity?

oh, and will they be "enough" for my upcoming forcefed (8-12psi) 331 build up? jk guys, I plan to have them worked a little bit...

• Sponsors (?)

The Edelbrocks aren't nearly as bad as some people make them out to be. At .500" lift they're actually within 5 cfm of AFR 165 and TFS Twisted Wedge heads (245 cfm). The only place they're lacking (and not by a ton) is on the exhaust side. Plus the Edelbrocks put good parts in like heli coiled bolt holes, which is a very good idea with aluminum heads.

I am a fan of edelbrock products myself.
I had the performer 2.02 valves on my old 331 combo and it really ran good. now i have the Vic Jrs... another nice product from Edelbrock.
if i had to do it again, i think that i might try TFS heads. For the price and performance, they are good! With a bit of porting, they will flow less than the afr heads.... for less $.

glad to hear that i'm not the only fan of edelbrock products-the article i mentioned in the beginning aslo made note that the valvetrain weighed less than most of the heads tested-even the stock E7's...

i'm thinkin when i put the huffer to this thing with a bigger engine-there will be many smiles to be had...if not a couple of pairs of soiled undies. Oh yeah, I also will be installing a methyl/water injection system on it with the blower

ECU5.0 said:
how come no one has said anything about the holley heads? the ones that come in the systemax kit? i can get those through my work for like $1030. they seem to be pretty good heads

I couple of years ago numberous people were complaining of them blowing out valve guides and cooking oil with only a few thousand miles on them.

I don't know whether Holley ever made the necessary changes, but it seemed to be a big issue with a lot of Stangers. :shrug:

Edit: Although they can make real good power.

when i get mine redone, i'll post some flow data numbers, and pics to go with them. the machinist i take all my stuff to has a flowbench

that might take a little while though-gotta save up some greenbacks

The interenet really messes with a heads reputation.
My mechanic and personal friend has spent years messing with different combinations to get the best ET out of a bone stock shortblock.
NOT the best dynojet numbers, because his most powerful cars on the dyno have NOT been the fastest street cars at the track.

Note that every head he uses gets a valve job, spring seat pressure adj, and bowl clean up. Regardless of new or old.

One car which was a Holley headed combo years ago, he said the heads were crap as far as reliablilty but the car ran 11.40's.

Another had gt40x's, consistant 11.80's

Many Twisted wedge cars in the 11's, too many to count.

All heads come from the factory a bit on the rough side. With the exception of AFR's, they are a bit more refined, hence you pay more. And they likely don't need the valve job.

So the price levels itself out. You buy tw's and put $300 into them, you've spent as much as on the afrs. But the tw's box stock are almost even on the intake side, and just behind on the exhaust. So you don't need to port them to outflow afr's, you just need to have them valve jobbed.

He stands by the fact that you take any edelbrock, gt40x, TW head to the machine shop, have the valve job done, bowl blend, spring seat pressure adjusted, and each car will make almost identical power.

Difference it that the afr's really don't benefit from the extra work, because they come nicer in the box. And most people that buy the other heads, either don't have the money for more work, or don't think it's worth it.
Seat pressure is very important, some heads come with springs that are all over the board.

oh, trust me, i'll be sticking with my Edelbrock's-they've served me very well. they'll probably be getting treated to a healthy port job, and since I've only got the 1.9 intakes, they'll be getting taken out to take the 202's along with getting flowbenched...

it just kinda irritated me to see more than four places (forums) on the web that basically said the Edelbrocks weren't worth the aluminum with which they were cast. if Edelbrock offered up the same amount of CNC porting that AFR, and TFS is known for on their normal performers, and RPM's (not just the vic's or vic jr's) then i'm sure they'd give AFR and TFS both a run for their money...they already cast an excellent head, and put great valve ware in them-hell they even offer them polished for show engines, why not a set of CNC'd RPM's straight from Edelbrock?