What heads will fit this?

Bmfhp

Founding Member
Sep 2, 2000
Florida
I am possibly going to get a 86 gt T-top. Stock motor, want to know if a set of stock valved heads and a stock intake from 87+ 5.0 will bolt right on? Will there be a problem with the valves hitting the flat top pistons? I don't know jack about the specifics on the motor in the 86's so any help is great. Or a link to a website with answers. Thanks guys. :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

I have heard of people who did it with no problems. The '86's have slightly smaller throttle bodies and intake runners, but getting hold of 87-93 take offs is cheap and relatively easy. Trick Flow TW heads are supposed to be a good match for '86's because of valve clearance. You can get around the flat tops.

I agree, the only one's I've heard have had problems with the 86's flat top pistons are with TFS heads, but I have heard they will work, but lift will have to be conservative.

Ok, I am talking about on the cheap. Taking a set of ported stockers and a ports upper/lower and putting them on a 86 shortblock. Will there be clearance issues? Has anyone done this before?

i have
took a stock e6se engine and put older heads on it to up the cr ratio and stuck a ho cam in it. the engine is used in a pu that pulls a trailer and it works fine. as for clearance the valves are close about .040 clearance so some good springs are in order.