What is modular?

• Sponsors (?)

The modular family of engines was developed so all of them could share at least some parts regardless of displacement or even number of cylinders. I think accessories will bolt up on all of them and some other things. The overhead cam part is just part of the design.

Modular basically means interchangable. Ford uses modular V8 engines in all their cars. That means that the 4.6L engine in the Mustang is the exact (almost exact) same engine as the 5.4L F-150 engine. Parts for/from the 4.6L can be used on the 5.4L and vise-versa. The extra displacement from the 5.4L comes from in increased stroke (distance piston travels in cylinder from top to bottom)

The new 4.6L engines are SOHC (GT) and DOHC (Cobra). SOHC means Single Overhead Cam and DOHC means Double Overhead Cams. This means that the camshaft is located in each cylinder head. The old 5.0 engines were OHV engines or Over Head Valve engines. There is only 1 camshaft in OHV engines and it is located in the actual engine block between the cylinders. SOHC Ford engines have 2 camshafts total (1 in each head x 2 heads = 2). DOHC Ford engines have 4 camshafts total (2 in each head x 2 heads = 4)

Hope I could help :nice:

ok so if ur all so smart. can anyone explaine why the 4.6 engine is soo much wider than your 5.0 pushrod motors (A 4.6 is 4 inches wider than a 427 block). and don't try to tell my its all in the valve covers. The only thing i could think of is that maybe the angles between the banks is different on the modular family and the oldder 5.0 engines. Anyone reall know!?

The width is in the heads I believe. OHC engines have alot more crap packed into their heads... making them ALOT bigger

About OHC.. here's what DOHC looks like
honda_s2000.jpg

vs. a pushrod motor (5.0) which opens valves like this
pushrod.gif

Attachments

• honda_s2000.jpg
    honda_s2000.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 106
I asked the same question, why modular engines are wider than older Ford small block motors to a Ford mechanic and wrote these comments in a thread some weeks ago. Ford mechanic stated crankshaft/cylinder bank (V-angle) was less than 90 degrees (incorrect) and modular motor angle was 90 degrees (fact) in a thread some weeks ago and what I wrote was incorrect. That's the last time I take the word of a Ford mechanic w/o investigation. Anyway, I stand corrected on that thread. Upon further investigation, modular motors are wider due to the camshafts (significantly sized device) being on top of the heads. DOHC motors are even wider than SOHC motors due to two cams per head. However, from what I've read on the V-6 going in the 2005, this motor only has a 60 degree camshaft/cylinder bank angle, which should make in very narrow under the hood. So today, Ford V-style engines do have a crankshaft/cylinder bank angle of less than 90 degrees. Sorry if I confused anyone with my earlier comments. Regards,

JohnyD05 said:
ok so if ur all so smart. can anyone explaine why the 4.6 engine is soo much wider than your 5.0 pushrod motors (A 4.6 is 4 inches wider than a 427 block). and don't try to tell my its all in the valve covers. The only thing i could think of is that maybe the angles between the banks is different on the modular family and the oldder 5.0 engines. Anyone reall know!?
Because they are made that way. Not trying to be a smarta$$. It is just a different engine design than a 5.0. The heads are larger/ taller than pushrod heads. this make the intake wider. displacement comes from bore and stroke, not from how large the engine looks.
Yes most is in the valve covers. If you were to look at a 4.6 without heads, its not that big. A 5.0 without heads is even smaller.

posted by Volldamont Modular basically means interchangable. Ford uses modular V8 engines in all their cars. That means that the 4.6L engine in the Mustang is the exact (almost exact) same engine as the 5.4L F-150 engine. Parts for/from the 4.6L can be used on the 5.4L and vise-versa. The extra displacement from the 5.4L comes from in increased stroke (distance piston travels in cylinder from top to bottom)

:stupid: