What kind of results can I expect out of these 3 or 4 mods?????? **Advice needed**

bda_2002GT

May 15, 2004
Ok.....I'm shooting for the inexpensive stuff mostly. My 02' GT is a daily driver and I just want to tinker a little bit and see what I can get out of her for as little as possible.

I'm thinking of getting these three mods:

Steeda UD Pullies

4.6L CAI

Gears

And maybe......

Tri-Ax Shifter

Each of these items are under $200.....which is right down my alley. :D

So my big question is, how much of an improvement will I be able to tell in my car if I have these mods installed???

Also what kind of HP gains can I expect to get???

Thanks. :D

• Sponsors (?)

you wont get alot of hp with with cai or the ud pullies but hey every little bit helps. make sure you dont get a metal cai and if it is make sure its ceramic coated to keep from getting hot. your most noticeable mods would be gears and the shifter. while neither add horsepower they do have noticeable changes. the gears will multiply your tourqe and a good shifter is night and day from the stock one.

I personally like the non metal CAI, lighter and doesn't transfer heat worth a damn. but get what you like. I don't like gears because I live in the frozen north. I don't want ud pullies so that I get full voltage and use of AC when it's too damn hot up here. alot of people really like the shifters, get one of those.

Gears will give you the most noticeable gains of the three. However, installation is somewhat expensive and I wouldn't attempt to do it yourself. You'll also need to fix the speedo for the new gears.

XtorT'r said:
I personally like the non metal CAI, lighter and doesn't transfer heat worth a damn. but get what you like. I don't like gears because I live in the frozen north. I don't want ud pullies so that I get full voltage and use of AC when it's too damn hot up here. alot of people really like the shifters, get one of those.

I didn't know Minnesota could get "too damn hot" :shrug:

Gears will be the best bang for the buck I'd say, but a shifter should be high on your list too.

cai is a not worth the money for a 99 & up. Pulleys on 99 & up are not that great either. Gears are a huge performance boost for launch if you go to 4.10's. Gears do not give you any hp though. The seat of the pants feeling is killer though. I have a 2003 gt and I have 4.10's at 90 MPH I tack 3000 RPM'S in 5th gear. You may want to do some reserch on a steeda timing adjuster though I have heard some good things about it and it is cheap.

...sputter...cough...ahem... :bs:

Im not saying your full of ish man, just I dont think your #'s are SAE with your mods. Just a hunch ;)

On topic...

Gears will be your best bang for the buck but you can look to spend anywhere from $500-700 including cost of gears for install if you go with a speedcal or a chip. No hp increase unless you go with a chip to bump timing and adjust a/f ratio, but MUCH better acceleration. A shifter should be a definate as well.

Tylerb59 said:
I made 263.4rwhp and 298.7rwtq on Saturday with:

K&N FIPK
Magnaflow Magnapack catback
UPR Offroad X
Steeda UDP

Not bad, was totally surprised. Made up all the drivetrain loss with minimal mods, and taking it to the track in an hour or so to see how it does time wise.

I WANT TIMES!!!

How did your time at the track go? Common, post up. Excellent numbers, btw. :nice:

Jackie Chan said:
four mods that are the best for the money:
Gears
Shifter
Timing adjuster
midpipe

Short and smart - Yep, Jackie knows...these mods will make you accelerate better, shift better, sound better and make a bit more power. Timing bump is easy, free HP.
My midpipe is just around the corner...

StangLou said:
...sputter...cough...ahem... :bs:

Im not saying your full of ish man, just I dont think your #'s are SAE with your mods. Just a hunch ;)

Thanks for the vote of confidence, I appreciate it.

But yes, I was a bit surprised with the numbers myself too. All of the other GTs there that day (Black2001GT on this forum can attest) were running a little bit lower.
He dyno'd in at 241rwhp with Bassani Catback, Mac CAI, BBK 70mm TB. I'll see if I can get him to jump on the thread to verify the authenticity of my results.

I bought the car used a few months ago, perhaps there was a little more work done to the heads / intake that I don't know about (which isn't visible). Although there is a sticker on the cover near the radiator which is a "Ford Approved modification" 'Reprogramed PCM' in hand written letters with a sharpy giving a long serial code. I don't know what to gather from that.

Anyway, I scanned in my dyno sheet and my best time slip from last night for YOU:

92BB5_dyno_time_resized.jpg

EDIT:

Here is the video as well: http://www.esimracing.com/stangnet/062604Dyno/06-26-04 263rwhp 298rwtq.wmv

I stripped my car down a little bit before going to the track, so I had nearly no weight in the rear and thus had some traction problems. The best I got was a 13.9 but consistantly ran 14.0 with really bad traction.

It's certainly a 13 second car, but I'm just a 14 second driver. I was being stupid and breaking it loose each time during my 1-2 and chirp it a bit 2-3 shifts. Powershifting ... on stock rubbers but I'm sure that affected my times a bit to. My trap speeds certainly indicate its a faster car too.

I'd like some input on what you guys think, but I might just start a new thread on this so others can see roughly what it *could* take to make up for the drivetrain loss assuming all the numbers are right and no other modifications to the car were done.

Tylerb59 said:
I made 263.4rwhp and 298.7rwtq on Saturday with:

K&N FIPK
Magnaflow Magnapack catback
UPR Offroad X
Steeda UDP

Not bad, was totally surprised. Made up all the drivetrain loss with minimal mods, and taking it to the track in an hour or so to see how it does time wise.

You must have what they call a "factory freak." With all my mods below, I made 245 rwhp. If I had a 5 speed, it still would only have been 255 rwhp (4% difference in power loss from transmission).

I'm not sure I believe the factory freak myth, it's just to convenient for one to say. Perhaps the car has had some work done to it which is not readily visible, but otherwise I've looked it over and it appears to be stock.

The only red flag is the 'Reprogrammed PCM' sticker, but I wouldn't imagine that'd do anything but mess with emissions / idle.

I do think my biggest gain was the O / R x, but also keep in mind the dyno WAS a dynojet, so in all honesty I could be running a good 255rwhp. Either way I was stunned by the results, and it's performing out on the track ... the driver just sucks. :)

I don't quite understand your demeanor.

I'm all about the timeslips myself, but just am a crappy ass driver. At least when it comes to the launches. Looking at your times, you're trapping @ 102 mph with a 13.4 while I'm running poor launches and times with 13.9 @ 102. I'd run 14.0 - 14.2 @ 102 (I have 10 timeslips from last night). Your times and trap speed make me feel optimistic the car is indeed faster then I'm pushing it.

All the dyno sheet is worth is a rough estimation of your power, and just puts it into perspective with timeslips attached.

FallenPhoenix said:
I didn't know Minnesota could get "too damn hot" :shrug:

Gears will be the best bang for the buck I'd say, but a shifter should be high on your list too.

Oh yes, it can. It is really humid too. We have no Blessed ocean anywhere neer us to cool our butts down just lakes to make it sticky. We only usually have a few days of 100F but we can have more than enough 90F+ days with high humidity.

On the other note, Keep in mind that Mods like 4.10's and Timming adjusters will more than likely cost you more than what you intend due to them making you pay alot more in gass. I say timming adjuster because I understand that most people adjust it to the point that you need to use 92 octaine instead of 87 octaine. I am gonna go ahead and stop anyone that claimes they get better Milage with 4.10's than before they installed them (if you think that you prolly need your spedo adjusted).

XtorT'r said:
Oh yes, it can. It is really humid too. We have no Blessed ocean anywhere neer us to cool our butts down just lakes to make it sticky. We only usually have a few days of 100F but we can have more than enough 90F+ days with high humidity.

On the other note, Keep in mind that Mods like 4.10's and Timming adjusters will more than likely cost you more than what you intend due to them making you pay alot more in gass. I say timming adjuster because I understand that most people adjust it to the point that you need to use 92 octaine instead of 87 octaine. I am gonna go ahead and stop anyone that claimes they get better Milage with 4.10's than before they installed them (if you think that you prolly need your spedo adjusted).

ughhh the humidity would kill me, I'll take 120 dry heat over mid 80's and 95% humidity anyday :nice:

FallenPhoenix said:
ughhh the humidity would kill me, I'll take 120 dry heat over mid 80's and 95% humidity anyday :nice:

SO WOULD I. It's only 82F here right now but at 56% humidity. Almost too sticky to stay outside for very long, at least our Bird like Skeeters slow down when it gets hot.