What pilot bushing needed for a 4cyl t5 in a V8

Mike86Stang

Advanced Member
Apr 11, 2000
Red Lion, PA
I have a car I need to throw this tranny into, anyone know what pilot bushing is needed??? Or know what car/truck the pilot bushing needs to
come out of???

Yes I know they are weaker...so I honestly don't need any feedback as far as that goes. :nice:

TIA

Mike

• Sponsors (?)

5.0 HOtrain said:
I believe they take the same one as the 5.0's do Mike, cost me $15 bucks for one at the ford dealership, make sure to get the good roller bearing one.
mike.

Mike,
Actually from what I hear the input shaft on the 4cyl is a diffent size (smaller) than the v8 t5's. If I use the V8 pilot bushing it would allow the input shaft to wiggle which will make it break that much faster.

I read a couple times it was from a 85 ranger ... heard gas & disel. I don't know if that's true or not... also heard that it was the same as a alternator bearing :shrug:

Thanks for the reply,
Mike

I put a 4-cyl T-5 in once just to move the car around a little. The pilot bushing we got looked like a solid brass washer...It's maybe a quarter of an inch in thickness. It will not fill the entire hole w/ it's thickness, but it will work...I actually did not get it myself...my dad did, but he thinks he asked for a pilot bushing for an older style 302...I'm not sure, but he thinks that's what he asked for. Anyway, I described it so maybe you'll get it. Also, use your head a slip it onto the input shaft of the transmission to make sure it fits before you install it. Good luck.
-Clifton

I actually ran into this problem when I first got my 5.0 and went to install a new clutch. To my surprise it had a 4-cyl thanny in it!

The T5 from the 4 cylinder cars had a smaller input shaft - .590 diameter. The standard T5 for 5.0's had .668 diameter. I don't remember the OD of the V8 off hand, but I may be able to measure it when I get home.

So basically you'll need a bearing with the same OD as the V8 T5 and the ID of the 4 banger input shaft. I had a custom bearing made (wasn't too expensive under $20 if I remember correctly), but if there's one that is available through a parts store that would be great because I'm about to swap engines this weekend and keep the same tranny for now and I'd love to just get a new bearing instead of pulling and reusing the old one.

-Craig

Wow, you guys are making this way too difficult. I just installed a 4 banger tranny in my friend's 93 5.0 a few months ago. We went to autozone and got a pilot bearing for......get this...... a 4 cylinder mustang! :D It worked fine, the outer diameter was perfect to fit in the crank and the inner diameter was perfect for the input shaft on the tranny. The only difference is it is a bit thinner than the 5.0 pilot bearing, but we put it in there and he drives it everyday for the past 5 or 6 months now with no problems at all.

i just did this in my 85, if you have a car quest nearby hear is the part number for the CORRECT pilot bushing

DOR 690-028

cost me 2.95

i put a tranny out of a 87 turbo coupe into my 85 5.0

Well I went to auto zone & ended up getting a pilot bushing for B/O/P old style bronze bushing... all the roller bearings were the wrong size. The OD is ever so slightly too big but a little time with a cartrige roll will take care of it... The ID is perfect.

I was really surprised though using a dial indicator all the bearing there were out of spec... some were off as much as .010. Seeing that kind of tolerance with aftermarket bushings... it's no wonder alot of people have problems even after replacing the pilot bushing!

Thanks Again