What shocks to go with Roush springs?

02GTRX

I told an admin to shut up...now I live with the S
Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Sep 27, 2004
I have the blue Roush springs .75" front and .5" rear, im looking for some struts/shocks that will smoothen out the ride a bit but still keep it firm in the corners. I was thinking of roush struts/shocks but are those just overpriced motorcraft parts painted blue? What other struts/shocks should I look at that are designed for lowered stangs?

• Sponsors (?)

As far as I can tell, and this is an overgeneralization, (see: wrong) there are only three companies that make dampers. Koni, Bilstein, and Tokico. They all make adjustable dampers for those who want to fiddle with the settings. You could get those. But they will be more expensive and you will have to find the right setting. Before you find the right setting, your ride quality will suffer. And adjustables are more likely to fail over the life of the car.

Now, if your getting non adjustable dampers, you'll technically have more choices. In as much as you can buy from FRPP, Steeda, Saleen (??), Roush, etc... But... As you mentioned, all these companies just buy from one of the above mentioned suppliers. I think most buy from Tokico. They rebadge the dampers as their own. This is not entirely bad though, as they essentially work to find the right setting, and then have Tokico make them to that specification. So, Steeda dampers and Roush dampers may both be made by Tokico, but the Steedas may be softer or vice versa.

I bought Steedas, made by Tokico, and they were significantly harder than the stock shocks, made, I think, by Tokico for Ford. I did that because I have the Steeda Springs. I think, your best bet is to stick with the same company. I went with Steeda over Roush because they are priced a bit more reasonably. I am overly happy with my Steeda set up.

But, if you have the Roush springs... probably the Roush dampers are you best bet for a properly tuned damper/spring set up. If you really dont want the Roush dampers, you might want to get some Bilsteins or Konis. People love them.

I like my Roush kit, and I live in New England where the roads aren't that great. I don't feel like they are too harsh but they improved the handling of the car a lot.

I have Tokico D-Spec adjustables set a turn off hardest matched with the blue Roush springs and stock sway bars. This gives a controlled but pliant ride. I have't actually adjusted the shocks since I first put them on in 2006 and think the set-up is great.

Of course adjustables may not be strictly necessary but they do allow you to find your own ideal set-up.

I'm in the UK so the roads over here are probably a lot more demanding. Be careful of Roush as a few recent sets have had the rears leaking in a very short period of time.

In summary, I think the D-Specs are the best. The stock units are Tokico albeit off a rocking horse and need binning as soon as possible.

I should add that others over here have various combinations and many use Eibach springs but I think the Roush/D-Spec combo seems to work best and have recommended it to many Mustang owners and they seem to concur. I think the stock sway bars are fairly maety anyway so uprating them is something you should only do after you've tried them.

I though about the dspecs but are too pricey for me. I figured roush would be best with the roush springs but just wanted to get some different opinions, thanks guys.
Posted via Mobile Device

I have roush shocks and springs. I got them for really cheap from Moss Muscle. Roush has an excellent R&D Department as well as manufacturing buy the system if you want peace of mind or else you'll spend a lot of time and eventually money for your research.

Kinda apples and oranges, but Bilsteins are on my Grand Cherokee, and my Chevelle..............I won't ever buy another damper/shock. For me, Bilstein makes suspension products >>> THATS IT! That being said, Konis are no slouch. Adjustable shocks are great for a road racer maybe (flame on), but I'm not gunna get on the fawking ground, turn a dial to change the perameters - on the other hand, then you can really customize how ur car really handles. HMMM, who am I kidding - it'll be better than stock. my .02

Check out the Koni STR-T shocks/struts. nonajustable and well priced on site for $409. plus shipping. I have a set on the rear of 05 GT with the Roush springs. Thr ride is much better not as choppy as with the stock shocks, going to go with the Roush front and Koni struts this winter while the car is put away.
Check this guy out for pricing. Good advise and good pricing

Strano Performance Parts

I got the Koni STR-T struts and shocks for about $385 with free shipping from LTB Motorsports. Good company to deal with and love the Konis. They also have a lifetime warranty. Installed the upgraded strut bearings while I had it apart, the ones listed on the TSB. Ride is smoother yet still firm. I upgraded to the Konis when I noticed my right front strut leaking at less than 32k miles, so glad I did it.