what should i expect from this combo...

jeffs89gt

Jul 18, 2005
right now i have 3.27s, mac off road h, and a mac cat back. im gona be putting my car in a garage over the winter and driving my truck so i figured that while it sits ill have plenty of time to mess around with it. i want to get some power, but without spending to much money, because when i get out of school i want to pull the motor and put a 351w in. i dont want to spend to much money on stuff that i cant swap over to the new motor so i figured ill get a cheep set of heads and intake. if i were to get a upper and lower intake manifold and the heads off of a 5.0 explorer or mountainer and put them on, what kind of gaints do you think i would see. ill also be getting a bigger throttle body, cold air intake, and shorty headers. id probly just get a new gasket and put the intake manifold on as is, but have a machine shop clean the heads up.... no porting or anything. im also getting a clutch quadrent kit and a pro 5.0 short throw and a set of street slicks, not sure what kind yet. right now my best run was a 14.837 @ 95.11mph with a 2.340 60 foot, thats with the car weighing 3458lb with a full tank of gas, subs, and me in it. After the throttle body, cold air, upper and lower intake, heads, shorty headers, short throw, and street slicks, im thinking ill be running around a 14.0 . what do you guys think. also how much of a hp gain do you think ill expect. im gona have my car dynoed befor i start all this. there is a shop with a dyno out here by me at school so im gona have it done befor i put the car away to start working on it.
thanks

• Sponsors (?)

idk what kind of gains you will get...no much though imo but I would just save the $$ for the 351 swap this way your not just wasting money...but thats just my opinon :nice: :cheers:

my friend ran a 13.9 in his vert with full interior, cage, and everything in it. he had full exhaust, gt40 heads, cobra intake, 3.73s, mild cam, and cold air and drag slicks. his first run he bogged cause of the slicks and then when he went for his 2nd run he launched at 3,000 and blew the rear, the ring gear snapped. i think he could have run a 13.7 ezily. the only difference between our cars is his is a vert= more weight, cage= more weight, his 3.73s vs my 3.27s, a mild cam, and him havin a cobra intake and me havin gt40. so i think ill be close to the same is his, maby a tenth or 2 slower..... idk tho

your 60 fts are one thing that are killing you! A decent set of Tires should get you down on your 60ft and over all ET by at least 4 tenths and maybe up to 6 tenths. Air up those front tires to around 40 psi.........what is your timing set at? If you install the Explorer intake and tb, with GT-40 "P"'s you should pick up another (EASY) 2 tenths if not more! the 3.27 gears arent helping ya all to much. But with heads, intake, tb and shorty headers and the street slicks (prolly would buy the BF good rich drag radials if it were me or the ET streets) you should be able to run down around mid 13's with some practice powershifting.
good luck!
Jack