What should I have serviced on my A/C

The Shape

Founding Member
Jan 11, 2002
East ARKANSAS Delta
Ok when I bought my car the discharge line was completely missing and the condensor had a huge hole in it. I bought a new line and condensor. I then put the fittings on it for R-134 jumped my low pressure switch and filled it up with the 134 retrofit kit. This has actualy worked fine for the last two summers even though I know I didn't really do it the "RIGHT" way. Around the end of last summer though I noticed a leak in my suction line. It didn't leak much but enough of the pag oil leaked out of that line to drip on my header and smell horrible. Up until last month it still had enough refrigirant in it that when I turned my defrost on the compressor would kick on. It cycled on and off quickly though so I knew it was getting low. I tried it today and it won't even kick on anymore. I went and bought a new suction line and I am going to have a vaccum pulled on it this time instead of just rigging it in the driveway. I am just wondering since I drove it two years with the system "contaminated' or whatever is there anything else I should have checked out or replaced when I take it to the shop?

• Sponsors (?)

If the suction line didn't come with a new accumulator/dryer (big silver or black canister mounted on the firewall), plan on replacing it. The dryer cartridge inside it is shot by now and has probably gone over to the enemy camp.

Make sure you pull a deep vacuum on the entire system before refilling with R134A. Pull vacuum for at least 45mins - 1 hour. Make sure system is tight and it holds the vacuum for at least 24 hours before refilling. I would also replace all the O-rings and coat them with Nylog espically if they have been open/exposed to for ANY length of time. Cheap insurance.