What spark plugs are you happy with?

• Sponsors (?)

Personally, I've taken about six sets of plugs out of 3V motors. I haven't had one break off following the TSB. What about you? :nono:

Since you asked, I only tried to do one set - on my '06 GT with 38K on the clock. I followed the TSB to the letter. The second plug snapped off. I had the car taken to the dealer where their best engine guy broke off 5 more. I was charged $611.13.

so what's the deal with the TSB to take the plugs out correctly then?

LB

• Remove coils
  • Blow out holes with compressed air
  • break plugs loose 1/8 to 1/4 turn and then STOP!
  • put about 1 teaspoon of carb cleaner in each spark plug hole Don't use too much - you could vapor lock your engine if you fill the cylinders with carb cleaner.
  • Let plugs soak like that for 30 minutes.
  • Unscrew plugs, but keep reversing direction...ie go 1/4 turn, then back 1/8, then go another 1/4, then back 1/8, etc until plugs are loose and spinning freely.
  • Install new plugs with anti seize.

Plugs

whats the cause of them breaking? and were do they break? Is it cause they look like a 2 part design also are they the same on a v6

First, sixers have nothing to worry about - they don't use this crappy plug design.

The V-8 plug is called a "High Thread" plug. The ground electrode shield, the smooth barrel you see below the hex nut, is only "crimped" to the body of the plug, not welded or machined in one piece (like the Brisk or Champion design). The ground electrode shield fits into a smooth bore in the head which terminates in the combustion chamber with the firing end protruding into the chamber. As the engine ages, carbon builds up inside this bore between the walls of the bore and the ground electrode shield, cementing the shield into the head.
In some cases, after some miles, when the owner tries to remove the plug, the crimped joint can separate, leaving the shield and in many cases, the porcelain insulator stuck in the head.
Rotunda (Ford) has come up with a special tool set to remove these parts. Several other companies have also started selling removal tool sets too.
The scariest scenario is that a piece of the insulator could break off and fall into the cylinder. This would most likely mean pulling the head off.
This problem does not plague everybody. I know NastyStang113 has never had it happen, as well as a lot of other owners. BUT, too many have (myself included, and I have been working on cars for 50 years) experienced it, nothing will prepare you for extracting half of a spark plug.
To those that have never had a plug break, I am glad for you. You have dodged a bullet. But, don't doubt for a second the problem is a real one. Just search the other sites and you'll see it does happen.

thanks ya ive had some be tough or break on my old v8s but i wasnt sure what might cause it. and figured the only part that would break would be the crimped section. but its good to know i dont have to deal with it

First, sixers have nothing to worry about - they don't use this crappy plug design.

The V-8 plug is called a "High Thread" plug. The ground electrode shield, the smooth barrel you see below the hex nut, is only "crimped" to the body of the plug, not welded or machined in one piece (like the Brisk or Champion design). The ground electrode shield fits into a smooth bore in the head which terminates in the combustion chamber with the firing end protruding into the chamber. As the engine ages, carbon builds up inside this bore between the walls of the bore and the ground electrode shield, cementing the shield into the head.
In some cases, after some miles, when the owner tries to remove the plug, the crimped joint can separate, leaving the shield and in many cases, the porcelain insulator stuck in the head.
Rotunda (Ford) has come up with a special tool set to remove these parts. Several other companies have also started selling removal tool sets too.
The scariest scenario is that a piece of the insulator could break off and fall into the cylinder. This would most likely mean pulling the head off.
This problem does not plague everybody. I know NastyStang113 has never had it happen, as well as a lot of other owners. BUT, too many have (myself included, and I have been working on cars for 50 years) experienced it, nothing will prepare you for extracting half of a spark plug.
To those that have never had a plug break, I am glad for you. You have dodged a bullet. But, don't doubt for a second the problem is a real one. Just search the other sites and you'll see it does happen.

So do you run Brisk one piece plugs now?