what times to run?

riceater89-5.0

Jun 3, 2004
kentucky
i have an 89 306 5 speed hatchwith about 4000miles since rebuild. i have a comp cam .540lift k&n filter 70 mm throttle body 190 fuel pump 373 rear, bbk headers, american thunder flows, a/c delete, and whatever cooling system the guy bfor me put in it is workin, cause my engine never gets above 150 degrees. im runnin on 205/75/15 piece of garbage tires. last time i went to the local 1/8th mile track, i ran a best of 9.2, which i thought ot be very impressive considering i spun all the way through 1-3rd gear. i think if i run slicks, and im fortunate enough not to break anything, i think i could get a half second better. a couple of my friends think i would be lucky to hit 9.0, even with slicks, what do u think? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

stock heads and intake, thats not really what im askin u to look at though, its more about how much i was spinnining on street tires, and how well i could hook up with slicks, thats whats gonna make the time up. ive heard, dont know for a fact, that every time u cherp your tires u lose a tenth, if thats the case, or even close to the case, it shouldnt be so hard to believe i can make up some serious time with slicks, right?

Yeah, of course it'll be way better with slicks. Probably at least a couple tenths in the 1/8th.......One thing about your combo scares me though.......540 lift cam on stock heads!? Holy ****!! How are they still alive? Do you get major valve float?

a COUPLE of tenths sucks though, that still leaves me with jus a 9.0.... i think i could pick up a couple on wider street tires, i was hoping to hear from someone who thought i could touch 8's anyway, jus so it wouldnt seem so far out there that i thought that way, and no i dont have valve float, ive hit 7000rpm about 4 times an never had a problem, no chatter, nothing. i figured the guy bfor me probly did have head work done, but whatever he did, he didi it to the stock heads, and it works well.

If that was your stock tack reading 7000 rpm, it wasnt 7k, closer to 6k. I have an autometer right along side my stock one, and 7kon the stock tach =6k on the autometer.