What to do next?

JVelt17

Feb 17, 2004
I have recently added a Bassani O/R X-Pipe and Bassani Catback Exhaust. My car has cut springs and the engine is completely stock except for the K&N air filter. Nothing else is done to the car except for 96-97 Gt rims. As everyone knows, the 5.0 modification list goes on forever, and I was just wondering where I should go from here. I was thinking about adding Bilstein struts and getting some H&R Sport Springs. I was also thinking about changing the rims out to either silver or chrome cobra R rims or maybe even the American Racing Torque Thrust II rims. Which would look best on a Vibrant Red car? Another part of me wants to get a supercharger and hold off on the other stuff first. But what kind of supercharger would I want? I'll be using it for mostly street, and it's a daily driver, so I want it to be pretty reliable if I go that route. Any suggestions or modifications that I haven't listed are appreciated. What's the best route for me from here? As I said, it's mostly a daily driver, and it won't see much track time, if any. Thanks.

John

• Sponsors (?)

How much are you looking to spend? If your talking supercharger Im guessing at least 2k....I think most people on the board will agree to do cosmetic stuff last. I would personally either get a nice used Vortech like 8psi or if you wanted to a Nice H/C/I swap would get you alot of power as well.

CivicEater said:
How much are you looking to spend? If your talking supercharger Im guessing at least 2k....I think most people on the board will agree to do cosmetic stuff last. I would personally either get a nice used Vortech like 8psi or if you wanted to a Nice H/C/I swap would get you alot of power as well.

I'm not looking to spend a lot of money, but I do realize that if I go the supercharger route, it will cost me around 3k. I was also wondering if it's too hard on the engine to put a supercharger on without any other mods? I know the fuel injectors and fuel pump will have to be upgraded, but I think it comes with most kits anyways. What about a less expensive one around 2k like Powerdyne? I believe it's 6 psi. I don't necessarily have to get a supercharger. I was just wondering what else I could do to make my car more fun than it already is.

CivicEater said:
your might be able to get a used SC for 2k but you also have to get the supporting mods, and peiced that were not included. A new vortech sells for more than 2k.

Jvelt, as for your next mod, i would finish up with the headers since you already have 2 peices of your exhaust on. You could also do gears or intake. CAI will give little to no gain so you could make your own for cheap or buy a cheap one off of ebay. Its your call.

Yea when I said 2k that was for a bare used kit.....if you have the coin get a nice Vortech and that should come with your fule upgrades....If you think your pretty handy with a wrench then you could probably manage to put it in yourself....after that get some DR's and let the good times roll:)

Go with a H/C/I set up. A nice cylinder head and intake manifold along with a mild cam will get you some where in the neighborhood of 280 RWHP. It will be much more reliable, easy to do, and easier on the motor than a supercharger. Superchargers will make more power, but what is it worth? Daily drivers are not race cars.

Joe

Joes95GT said:
Go with a H/C/I set up. A nice cylinder head and intake manifold along with a mild cam will get you some where in the neighborhood of 280 RWHP. It will be much more reliable, easy to do, and easier on the motor than a supercharger. Superchargers will make more power, but what is it worth? Daily drivers are not race cars.

Joe

What do you recommend for the H/C/I setup? I've heard the Edlebrock Rpm Intake is one of the best along with some Edlebrock heads. I really have no idea on engine modifications. What kind of cam? I'm looking for something that won't hurt my gas mileage too bad seeing that it is a daily driver. How much will the H/C/I setup hurt the gas mileage and what am I looking at for a price? I'm guessing around 2k or so. Also, will the cam make the car louder and by how much if it does? :shrug:

JVelt17 said:
...and the engine is completely stock except for the K&N air filter. As everyone knows, the 5.0 modification list goes on forever, and I was just wondering where I should go from here...
John

I'm in the same boat as you, except my mods are 3.73 gears and kenne brown subframes. Stock engine except for my trusty K&N and the air silencer removal. Im kinda holding back on exhaust for a bit as my car is a convertable and i have to make a 2 and a half hour highway drive fairly regularly. I'm thinking about trying to find a cobra intake, and do things to improve the ride and cease vibrations more, which probably means new shocks and whatnot. Anyone have any suggestions for me on what to do, or are there any vert owners that can ease my fear of an unbareable headache on the highway?

JVelt17 said:
What do you recommend for the H/C/I setup? I've heard the Edlebrock Rpm Intake is one of the best along with some Edlebrock heads. I really have no idea on engine modifications. What kind of cam? I'm looking for something that won't hurt my gas mileage too bad seeing that it is a daily driver. How much will the H/C/I setup hurt the gas mileage and what am I looking at for a price? I'm guessing around 2k or so. Also, will the cam make the car louder and by how much if it does? :shrug:
The RPM is too much manifold for a daily driver. Go with a Performer. Edelbrocks are a decent head for the money you pay. People are going to tell you to go TW, but I'm not a fan of them. GT40P heads are also a good head but they usually need better springs and seals if you decide to use an aftermarket cam. Also, P heads can be ported for a relatively cheap amount of money, and they will run right with any aluminum head designed for a 302.

The only thing that is going to "hurt" your gas mileage is your right foot. A B-cam or Steeda 19 are excellent daily driver cams. Actually, a set of 1.7 rockers and the stock cam are going to be just as good as the next "mild" cam, plus you don't have to worry about driveability problems. A cam isn't going to make your car any louder, just a rougher sound.

Joes95GT said:
The RPM is too much manifold for a daily driver. Go with a Performer. Edelbrocks are a decent head for the money you pay. People are going to tell you to go TW, but I'm not a fan of them. GT40P heads are also a good head but they usually need better springs and seals if you decide to use an aftermarket cam. Also, P heads can be ported for a relatively cheap amount of money, and they will run right with any aluminum head designed for a 302.

The only thing that is going to "hurt" your gas mileage is your right foot. A B-cam or Steeda 19 are excellent daily driver cams. Actually, a set of 1.7 rockers and the stock cam are going to be just as good as the next "mild" cam, plus you don't have to worry about driveability problems. A cam isn't going to make your car any louder, just a rougher sound.

How come you aren't a fan of the Twisted Wedge Heads? Also, what about the E303 cam? Is it more suitable for racing applications? Should I get bolt on FMS rockers or stud mount? Is there a lot of things I should look out for when installing all of this and how long/hard is this whole deal? Thanks for the help so far too.

JVelt17 said:
How come you aren't a fan of the Twisted Wedge Heads? Also, what about the E303 cam? Is it more suitable for racing applications? Should I get bolt on FMS rockers or stud mount? Is there a lot of things I should look out for when installing all of this and how long/hard is this whole deal? Thanks for the help so far too.
Installation time all depends on mechanical ability and how cautious you are. The E303 cam would be a much better choice as far as performance goes, but it may cause some problems with your processor. The duration is a little long and the LSA is a little tight, and those are the things that make our processors angry. What rocker you choose is based on what type of head you are running. If you buy heads that accept stud mount rockers, then buy stud mount rockers, and vise versa. I personally think TW heads are a tad too big for a mild 302 application. The 2.02 intake valve is a bit overkill and really cuts down on velocity, which kills cylinder fill, which kills torque. I've also heard problems with rocker geometry because of the "twisted" design. There is also brand loyalty that plays a factor too. Edelbrock is made in the USA - thats what I like to buy.

Joe