What transmission speedo gear do I need.

davmacdon

Aug 23, 2003
I have a 94 GT with 3:73 rearend and a 94 Cobra Transmission.(I think it is the same as the stock T5 except with pocket bearings.)

I dont know what tooth/color gear to get. I have 18" tires as well.

Someone said that I can not get exact with my combo and it will be off about 5%. Right now it is like 45%.

• Sponsors (?)

Just get a SpeedCal. I have 3.73's and the SpeedCal. I got mine at DallasMustang. It took about an hour to install and it was well worth it. You can make adjustments for just about any gear and tire combo. And it will be exact. I have checked it with my GPS. I have a 94 Cobra so I know it would work on yours. If I remember right I paid maybe $100 or so for it. But you won't be sorry. Go luck and good choice in rear gear... :nice:

Here is Liny.... http://www.dallasmustang.com/index....M&Session_ID=3E9D702300063C8900004A9A00000000

you can order a black six tooth drive gear, and then find the right driven gear to match it for your combo and not have to worry about wear.......with my 4.10's i changed both of them......never had a lick of trouble....

jason

Yeah, stay away from the 23 tooth gear if at all possible. Its a chrysler gear and its cut just a little different than the ones ford uses, so after while they tend to be "chewed up" and they are not 100% accurate.

The 23 tooth gear will get eaten, mine lasted 20k miles. To get the speedo exact, it is best to change out the internal drive gear from the 8 tooth to a 7 tooth, or possible a 6. If using a 7 tooth drive gear with 3.73 gears you would need a 21 tooth gear. Mine is exact with 3.73 gears with the 7 tooth drive gear & 21 tooth speedo gear.