What transmissions will work?

• Sponsors (?)

i was also curious about this because i have an '88 TC and i plan on putting the 2.3t into an '88 LX fox w/ an auto. i'm getting a 351 windsor with the stang so i planned on selling that and the 5spd(t5?) out of the TC together and get some extra cash. the a4ld is the 3spd auto, correct?

i guess i can also ask this while i'm at it but what would you guys that have 2.3t autos recommend when i put the 2.3t in or should i be all right as long as i avoid a good amount of boost at part throttle while shifting?

Don't know about a a4ld. I have a 89with 2.3t auto don't go c-3.I did came with motor major problems go 5-speed. I had to go c-4 auto wife's car she can't drive standard and don't want to learn. Best luck with your car.

KurtPB said:
i dont want a 5spd. i want to keep this auto in, which i'm assuming it's the a4ld or is it the c3? i dont know much about the code name crap for these so, meh.
you need a 5spd, unless you find a Turbo Coupe with an auto and swap both in. the only trannys that go with a 2.3T are the 5speeds or a built C4 and only big time drag racers put those in. if you want your current auto to go with the turbo motor you plan on putting in, then do it......... if you want your trans to blow up in less than a week.

so you're saying that i should be safe with the 3spd in the '88 LX? i mean, to start off power wise, i just planned on installing a granger valve instead of a premium/regular switch. which i should be able to get 14-15 psi, correct?. i dont know where 2.3t's hit overboost but i know on the 2.5t by mopar that it's 14.7 psi.

Check around. If you've got the money to build one, an A4LD can be made stronger than it was with it's original parts. The new light duty automatic (I don't remember the alphabet soup designation) is based on the A4LD much like the A4LD was based on the C3. Some parts are interchangeable and those that are have been reported to be an improvement over the original equipment. If you dig around the web, you can find info on beefing up "The Little Slushbox That Almost Could"

Check with the Explorer/Ranger guys. The same trans was found behind 2.3 and possibly even 3.8 V6 versions of both.

3 spd autos are great for occasional drivers and more-strip-than-street rides. I wouldn't want one in my daily commuter. Others may disagree and that's fine, it's my opinion and open for discussion. :)

Manual transmissions aren't for everyone. Those that prefer to row their own are dwindling in numbers these days. Manufacturers aren't even offering them like they used to. I remember trying like hell to get a 5spd 5.9 R/T Dakota back in '01. Couldn't do it. Not an option available. So much for the "sport" in sport truck.

thanks for the advice rusty.

Slow92LX said:
im gonna tell you straight up. with the exception of the C4, Ford auto trannys are garbage. why do you want it to be auto so bad? do yourself the favor and swap a T5 in.

because i want an automatic. i dont care for shifting all the time, it gets old and i just prefer the consistancy of an auto and i can also build a load before launching.

Red_LX said:
Well I beg to differ, the C6 is about bulletproof, of course it won't really fit in a Mustang and definitely won't bolt up behind a 2.3.

so what about a c4 like 92lx mentioned? i'm sure i could find one in the salvage yard but would a c4 bell housing bolt up to the 2.3? i was just curious because if i could find one, that would probably be easier than attempting to beef up an a4ld.

The A4LD will work fine for normal driving around. It may not have a reputation for brute strength or longevity, but, there are millions and millions served....

If you want an automatic, just put one in and go. The worry factor is way over done, in my opinion.

I have not rebuilt one yet, but I probably will, just for the heck of it one day. I have two spares, one that supposedly works, that came with one of my TC parts cars.

It was in Rangers and Explorers with the 4.0, and is now behind the 4.6 in the new Mustang.

The trick is getting one that works, like I did for $100 or so, or getting one rebuilt, which does cost a bit more, if you don't do it yourself.

As for the other Ford automatics, AODs/4R70W's, 4R100's and their derivitives can also be built to take tons of power and abuse, in the same manner as a C4 or C6. There are AOD's behind 5-700 hp drag Mustangs. And they are as much stock as any TH350 or Glide is at that level.