What type of gains from a good cam on stock h/i?

Highway High

Dec 31, 2002
Just as it states, will there be any noticeable gains from switching the cam out on a stock 5.0? I have a couple basic mods (see sig), but it's pretty much stock. The reason being, Its a lot easier to afford a $150 cam (at the most) than a $1,300+ head and intake combo. I plan on getting my heads ported by thumper, and an edelbrock performer RPM intake down the road, but right now I cant afford it. Ive also LOVED the sound of a nice cam lope. I will probably have enough to replace the throttle body too. So ya, add that to the list.Thanks again.

Logan

• Sponsors (?)

89sleeper said:
Adding a bigger cam will only hurt you with the stock head/intake combo.

The stock cam isn't bad at all. If you were to swap out cams, you would end up with a few extra ponies up top, maby around 10rwhp at best, but you would loose a considerable amount of torque, it's just not worth it. It would sound meaner, but that would be the biggest perk. I know people who have done this, and they will swear they are making a lot more top end power, but that's just because they lost a lot down low and then it came back up top, so they feel a gain, but really didn't. The stock valve springs have all they can handle with your stock lift, add more lift and any top end gains, if any, would probally be cancled out by the valve float.

There are other mods you could do that you'll be much happier, just save a little more.

If anything you should get the heads first!Thumpers!! As stated before,,the stock cam isnt bad! In fact its pretty good!! The heads are the biggest bottlenecks on the motor.If you get a chance to look at one check it out.There is a big pryamid shaped object rite in front of the exhaust port(called egr bumps) Your better off getting Thumper heads first!! You will notice a h@ll of a difference.Thats what Im doing over the winter.Thumpers,ft1 cam and intake!!Im hoping for a full second off my 1/4 mile e/t.

I think that it would be a waste of time to do it. not so much from the performance aspect, but from the time perspective. if you do heads, your only a lil bit away from a cam swap. there is no sense to tear it all back down, then in the spring, tear it back down again.

also, since your on a budget, it would only make sense to do it once and not replace the gaskets. that alone would save ya $50.

like others have said..... put your money into other things first.

willys1 said:
If anything you should get the heads first!Thumpers!! As stated before,,the stock cam isnt bad! In fact its pretty good!! The heads are the biggest bottlenecks on the motor.If you get a chance to look at one check it out.There is a big pryamid shaped object rite in front of the exhaust port(called egr bumps) Your better off getting Thumper heads first!! You will notice a h@ll of a difference.Thats what Im doing over the winter.Thumpers,ft1 cam and intake!!Im hoping for a full second off my 1/4 mile e/t.

Let's not forget the stock intake, flowing a whopping 130cfm per runner. The TMOSS intake will cost you less than a cam and give you more gains. I have the Edelbrock intake, nice peice, but $500! Thumper heads are really good bang for the buck item. I've had mine almost 2 years. Low end tq is unneffected, actually you will gain some, but it will keep on pulling and pulling.

90mustangGT said:
Let's not forget the stock intake, flowing a whopping 130cfm per runner. The TMOSS intake will cost you less than a cam and give you more gains. I have the Edelbrock intake, nice peice, but $500! Thumper heads are really good bang for the buck item. I've had mine almost 2 years. Low end tq is unneffected, actually you will gain some, but it will keep on pulling and pulling.
Yup.thats the 2nd biggest bottle neck.I have a t-moss also,pulls harder through 1st and 2nd gear!!

The heads (at ~160cfm) are not the biggest restriction.
The intake (at ~140cfm) definatly is.

A cam can make some serious power on stock heads intakes, but, what are you willing to live with?
A perfect example of how a cam can really make things lively on an otherwise stock combo is Ed Hohenberg's car.
Unported heads/intakes, and stock shortblock, with a wild cam makes over 290hp and over 330tq at the wheels, and has gone solidly into the 11's at over 112mph.
Now, it's not going to get 24mpg, it needs to idle over 1000rpm, and it's not happy cruising under 2000rpm... but, it does make power.

If you want good drivability, and respectable mileage, then do Tom Moss's lower intake (keeping the stock cam) at about the same price as a typical shelf cam, and call it a day.
That will let you utilize the full 160cfm the heads have to offer.
Not to mention it's an easier wrenching session.

I think as long as you dont do something outragious your not hurting yourself.

I am also on a budget(college/MX) is more important. And I installed a cam with about the same lift as the ford B cam and it dident hurt my low end. Infact it accually helped low end pickup and is about the same higher up. Not a real horrible idle either. Maybe most people just fear the cam. Or are to scared to install one.?
But I have been working on cars for a long time and working one stock cars where RPM/power is essential and cams dont kill power.
If you guys can say it kills power I still dont see credable evidence to justify the likings. Maybe some dyno #'s?

Highway High said:
Just as it states, will there be any noticeable gains from switching the cam out on a stock 5.0? I have a couple basic mods (see sig), but it's pretty much stock. The reason being, Its a lot easier to afford a $150 cam (at the most) than a $1,300+ head and intake combo. I plan on getting my heads ported by thumper, and an edelbrock performer RPM intake down the road, but right now I cant afford it. Ive also LOVED the sound of a nice cam lope. I will probably have enough to replace the throttle body too. So ya, add that to the list.Thanks again.
Logan

Well, none of the OTS $150 cams are going to give you a worthwhile performance gain.. Sure if will give you a lopey idle, if that's all you are after..

Buddy Rawls on the corral recommended a got OTS cam for a stock-type setup that takes advantage of the typical modifications for a stock-headed car (headers, exhaust, intake).. It was the Comp 270 HR, 5-420-8, specs are 270/270 215/215 .533/.533 on 110 LSA.

MFE ran it in his car and noticed a significant torque increase in the lower RPM's.. Check out the link. http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=455950

Is it worth putting in your car? My opinion is no, because you will need to upgrade your springs, plus freshening up the rest of the valvetrain is a good idea espeically on a high-mileage car.. It was my opinion that sinking the money into aftermarket heads would be a better strategy.

But if I were going to cam a stock head.. I would spend the extra money and get a custom cam optimized exactly to my needs and with faster ramp rates than the above comp cam has.. It would be very interesting to see what it could do -- and to see how many cars I could suprise at the track..

cleanLX said:
The heads (at ~160cfm) are not the biggest restriction.
The intake (at ~140cfm) definatly is.

A cam can make some serious power on stock heads intakes, but, what are you willing to live with?
A perfect example of how a cam can really make things lively on an otherwise stock combo is Ed Hohenberg's car.
Unported heads/intakes, and stock shortblock, with a wild cam makes over 290hp and over 330tq at the wheels, and has gone solidly into the 11's at over 112mph.
Now, it's not going to get 24mpg, it needs to idle over 1000rpm, and it's not happy cruising under 2000rpm... but, it does make power.

If you want good drivability, and respectable mileage, then do Tom Moss's lower intake (keeping the stock cam) at about the same price as a typical shelf cam, and call it a day.
That will let you utilize the full 160cfm the heads have to offer.
Not to mention it's an easier wrenching session.
B@ll Sh@t!!!!! Just a cam???? Just a cam put him into the 11's?? Why dont you do us a favor and list the mods he has. Yeah,Im gonna get this cam that will take 4 seconds off my E/T! Dude,all due respect,,B@LL SH@T :notnice:

Biggeley said:
Well, none of the OTS $150 cams are going to give you a worthwhile performance gain.. Sure if will give you a lopey idle, if that's all you are after..

Buddy Rawls on the corral recommended a got OTS cam for a stock-type setup that takes advantage of the typical modifications for a stock-headed car (headers, exhaust, intake).. It was the Comp 270 HR, 5-420-8, specs are 270/270 215/215 .533/.533 on 110 LSA.

MFE ran it in his car and noticed a significant torque increase in the lower RPM's.. Check out the link. http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=455950

Is it worth putting in your car? My opinion is no, because you will need to upgrade your springs, plus freshening up the rest of the valvetrain is a good idea espeically on a high-mileage car.. It was my opinion that sinking the money into aftermarket heads would be a better strategy.

But if I were going to cam a stock head.. I would spend the extra money and get a custom cam optimized exactly to my needs and with faster ramp rates than the above comp cam has.. It would be very interesting to see what it could do -- and to see how many cars I could suprise at the track..

I definatly agree with you there on that. New stronger springs/hardened pushrods are a must.

As for a custom grind cam in Highway highs case I think he should wait before going with a custom grind. Mostly because he plans on upgrading in the future and then he would need another custom grind for his new setup.
So going with one now would be a larger waste of money being because they are (on average) twice the price as a OTS cam. I think the Comp 270 HR is about the best your going to get for you setup as of right now.

willys - while he didn't throw in all the rest of the mods, I suspect he's right on the 11 seconds with stock heads/intake - Mike's not making this stuff up; look at his sig; he's knows a bit about going quick. The valve springs are probably different, and I'll promise the motor's been blueprinted, and he likely has superb tractions (tires and suspension mods) and a GREAT driver. It's the whole package that makes for quick times - not just a cam, or intake, or heads, or whatever. It's likely a purpose-built racer for a particular class that you probably wouldn't want to drive on the street at all - but I don't think it's BS just from reading the post.

Michael Yount said:
willys - while he didn't throw in all the rest of the mods, I suspect he's right on the 11 seconds with stock heads/intake - Mike's not making this stuff up; look at his sig; he's knows a bit about going quick. The valve springs are probably different, and I'll promise the motor's been blueprinted, and he likely has superb tractions (tires and suspension mods) and a GREAT driver. It's the whole package that makes for quick times - not just a cam, or intake, or heads, or whatever. It's likely a purpose-built racer for a particular class that you probably wouldn't want to drive on the street at all - but I don't think it's BS just from reading the post.
I just didnt think the untouched heads and intake were capable of the flow it is required to run in the 11's.Thats mighty fast!! In other words the car would not be able to cruise in normal situations,,to and from work,,on a 6 hour road trip,,ect.,,,,,,

As far as making more power I'm sure it possible, but that would be a class built car like stated with probably more money in valve jobs than the whole car is worth. Based on his money goals I did not think that he would be willing to build a blueprinted class specific car.
If you want to put a cam in just for sound until you can get the rest of the parts the you can do so, but it will probably hurt you until you get the rest of the parts.(ie $150 cam)
Guess I should have elaborated a little more on my first answer.