what type of scratch remover you use?

My friends car got keyed down the side the other night.I looked at it and it doesn't appear to bad so before i start thinking about repainting the whole side of the car i am wondering what type of scratch remover you guys are using now.I'm sure they have changed since i last had to use them.I know that they will not get all the scratch out but i would like to think that it could help some.

• Sponsors (?)

You can't remove a scratch. It's gouged (sp?) into the paint. Doesn't he have insurance? This would be covered under his comprehensive coverage I believe. The only correct way to fix this is to have it repaired/painted.

May God have mercy on anyone I catch keying either of my cars.....'cause I'll give no mercy.

shane93nc said:
My friends car got keyed down the side the other night.I looked at it and it doesn't appear to bad so before i start thinking about repainting the whole side of the car i am wondering what type of scratch remover you guys are using now.I'm sure they have changed since i last had to use them.I know that they will not get all the scratch out but i would like to think that it could help some.

If you can feel the scratch with your fingernail than I wouldn't attempt to remove it as you will take too much of the clear with it. If you can't feel it with your fingernail than you certainly can remove it. You can try Meguiars Scratch X from your local auto parts store, beyond that you will have to hunt down professional products from your local automotive paint supply store. Meguiars has a dealer locator on their website that might help you there.

http://www.meguiars.com/dealerlocator/

One of my go to products for scratch removal is Meguiars #83 Dual Action Cleaner Polish. It can be used by hand, dual action polisher or high speed rotary. It is a bear to use by hand as you really have to work it to get the abrassives to break down but, it can be done.

Dusstbuster said:
filing a claim with insurance is almost a surefire guarantee to raise your rates. Insurance is such a scam you lose either way.

One claim most likely will not raise your claims, multiple claims too often will raise your rates. An insurance appraser told me that you basically get one free claim, then it's adjust the rates time.

tjm73 said:
One claim most likely will not raise your claims, multiple claims too often will raise your rates. An insurance appraser told me that you basically get one free claim, then it's adjust the rates time.
Your right about that "one free claim".My wife had her expidetion stolen last year and they paid a certain amount and the gap paid the rst.But thank god our insurance didnt go up.

You might be pleasantly surprised by an estimate from a paint shop. Sometimes, they can fill in the scratch and buff it to be invisible. I had a kid scrape his bike handle bar against my car (huge gouge- 1 foot long and almost a 1/4 inch wide down to the bare metal) A body shop made it invisible for about 200.00 Expensive, but a lot less than repainting the car.

Worth a try