What Was The First Car You Built With Your Own Two Hands

Did lots of work to this car. MHS cams, PI intake, 3.73s, suspension work, etc... Was a fun car, still looked like this when I sold it and ran great with 150k miles.

da9bfdc002339d2de65713458afaacc3.jpg
I remember this thing from when I first joined here at 17 ish . Clean car !

Sent from my iPhone using my fingers while my auto correct makes me seem illiterate

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

3797781137_ce64301d30_o.jpg 5117303781_5af7c20ca2_o.jpg My first car i actually worked on with my own two hands was a 84 Mustang GT, learned to do many things on it, i was 16. The furthest i've done anything to was my 68 Camaro, which i sold last year. Did so much to it, hurt selling it, but i replaced it with my 92 Mustang GT, and i couldn't be happier to have my first car back. Feels like i'm 16 again.

V8 I hope, lol ..

Yep, and I still have it. It needs suspension:

Brake upgrade
bushings (all)
control arms
wheels
shocks
whatever else I'm forgetting

You know... I did what most Mustang freaks do: Added a ton of power while ignoring the rest. :D

I used the gas pedal to keep it in check instead of the brake pedal. Now I'm planning out the handling. I think my least expensive option considering the performance that I want along with the desire to only purchase something one time, is the Road and Track box from MM with their Extreme Duty LCAs.

So what is that.... $2500+ ish? Plus minor pieces/parts (fittings, lines, etc.) for the Cobra brake setup that I've been collecting over the years.

I'll also need to pickup a set of 31 spline axles for the F-150 Trac-Loc that I have and intend to use.

Gears... Hmmm.... :chin

I've been on the fence about ratio for a long long time. I think I'm going 3:27 for two reasons:
I make a metric chit-ton of torque and I'm going to need a TKO (or other) once I put stickies on and twist this T5 into a pretzel or spit 3rd gear out on the road behind me.

Long story short I bought a 88 lx hatch with a 5 speed. Rolled it 5 min later. (trust me I've just about heard it all) but my autos teacher sold me a 84 1/2 GT350 body and trans for $75 and we spent winter break swapping everything over.

Reactions: 1 users
1977 Mustang II, Factory 302, with a C4. My Dad bought the car unbeknownst to me, from a wreck sale with 77,000 miles and very slight front and rear damage. I'll never forget that Sunday morning on the way to church with the family, Dad stops by a relatives house,(they own a body shop). He drives around back of the house, and wheels up beside this little Mustang II. I say, "what are you doing?" He says " how you like this car?" I say, I don't !!! Everybody knew my favorite Mustang was a 1970 MACH 1, so I didn't really give it a second thought. At the time we farmed, and my Dad had told me as long as I did a good job of working and helping him out, he'd buy me a car for my 16th birthday. I was a really good helper that Summer !! My birthday is Dec. 22nd, as the months drew near, I began hearing rumors from my cousin that he knew what kind of car I was getting. After a lot of hounding, he kind of mentioned it wasn't a 70 MACH, or any other classic Mustang that I was longing for. Suddenly, I start having flashbacks of the ugly Mustang II, he'd shown me, and thinking no way. Weeks before my B-day, I found out he was spending time at the body shop, working on my car, so that it'd be finished in time. He took me to get my driver license in his pick up, after we got home, I remember riding my bike to my best friends house to show him my big accomplishment. I came back home and my Dad said " lets go get some steaks and we'll grill em for supper after your Mom gets home from work". So we've only got about a 5 mile ride to the store, about a half mile before the store, is the said body shop. He starts slowing down earlier than he should, almost comes to a stop and turns the truck to the left and shines the headlights directly on that newly painted to look like a Cobra II with spoilers and says . . . . Happy Birthday son. I thought it was the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen. That's a memory that I'll never forget !!!

I learned SO much working on and hot rodding that little Mustang, eventually swapped the 302 for a 351W and whoa what a difference there weren't many bolts on that car, that I didn't touch. The guy I sold it to, still has it, now it's got a 427W AFR heads big roller and on and on. Wish I had it back.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Man this thread was going good until my Mustang II story. Hope I didn't kill it, lol. Come on guys lets hear your stories.

Bossed

Reactions: 1 users