What will it take to beat an LS1?

Bowtiesblow said:
Learn how to wrench on a car and you wont have a problem :nice:. When you mod a car things break, its a fact. A "stock" LS1 F-body is not going to need a new rear end. Maybe when you mod it yes, but modified LS1's make alot of power and lots of power will break stuff. Something stang guys arent used to. :p

look, dude all this happened under warranty! So why the **** should I rebuild the rear-end over and over, or hone the cylinder walls and fit new pistons to stop the knock and oil consumption (blow-by due to piss poor quality control). Or glue a new ROOF down.

Sorry to break it to ya chief the car is totally stock.
7.652 ring gear in a 350 hp car= snap.
Hey man this is a Mustang forum. Go to Ls1tech check out the gears and axle forums :rlaugh: Then get back to us : Bowtye :rlaugh:

• Sponsors (?)

Bowtiesblow said:
Learn how to wrench on a car and you wont have a problem :nice:. When you mod a car things break, its a fact. A "stock" LS1 F-body is not going to need a new rear end. Maybe when you mod it yes, but modified LS1's make alot of power and lots of power will break stuff. Something stang guys arent used to. :p
thats funny, my buddy has a 02 ws6 convert. he has gone through 2 rear ends already.....its stock minus loudmouth exhaust. and its an auto.

bigcat said:
thats funny, my buddy has a 02 ws6 convert. he has gone through 2 rear ends already.....its stock minus loudmouth exhaust. and its an auto.

How many neutral drops has he done in it? Blowing the rear ends on a stock A4 is very uncommon.

jfischer said:
How many neutral drops has he done in it? Blowing the rear ends on a stock A4 is very uncommon.
none!!! all he does is hold the brake till the tires are about to break, then mashes the throttle. he doesnt really beat on it.

Can we please keep this nice and love-festish :shrug:.

If you would like to get your point across, it can be best done without name calling. When you try to get someone to listen to you it is a lot easier to do when you don't put them on the defensive.

Please play nice.

Thanks

Jennifer

ThreeWhiteGT said:
The Trans Am's may suck, but they are almost a second quicker then us. Facts are facts :cry:

Well, more like a half a second at best
People who can drive the 05 mustang have been reporting around mid to high 13's and trans ams are low to mid 13 second (I don't buy they are 12 sec cars just like the mustang isn't a low 13 sec car)
Maybe if the owner in the trans am was really good and the mustang one wasn't so good then a full second

Klay said:
Well, more like a half a second at best
People who can drive the 05 mustang have been reporting around mid to high 13's and trans ams are low to mid 13 second (I don't buy they are 12 sec cars just like the mustang isn't a low 13 sec car)
Maybe if the owner in the trans am was really good and the mustang one wasn't so good then a full second
low 13's are more common than high 12's. and 12's do seem to be M6's when talking stock. However if you have a look on some of the bigger Fbody boards you'll see it's not such a rare event. But half second is probably nearer the mark for most people on a like for like basis. The thing is how many stock Ls1's are there? Even a lid and cat back will as a rule put even the auto guys into the 12's.

yes this is a little off the subject but for me it puts the "what will it take" question in perspective. there's over a liter of displacement - pretty good head start. what's the point in modding my stang only to spank a stock LS1? in all fairness the LS1 guys have 10 times the mods available and ARE going to use what's at their disposal to keep up w/ the Johnson's.

i got spanked badly last friday even w/ a rolling head start on a 99-ish Z which was obviously cammed. i knew before it started that i was toast but it was like i wasn't even trying as he went flying by w/ my foot all the way in 3rd. At the next light I gave the dude props and he told me he had b/w 375 to 400 rw. this was a low 12's n/a beast. got to give credit there

dollar for dollar in mods my beloved 3V 4.6 will always be breathing LS1 fumes.
will i still drop in the 4:10's in and other bang for the buck mods? yes. i'm just not going to feel bad when i may only kill 1 of every 3 LS1's. Now if Ford whips out the 3V 5.4 Boss i'll be wanting some retribution

blackened said:
yes this is a little off the subject but for me it puts the "what will it take" question in perspective. there's over a liter of displacement - pretty good head start. what's the point in modding my stang only to spank a stock LS1? in all fairness the LS1 guys have 10 times the mods available and ARE going to use what's at their disposal to keep up w/ the Johnson's.

i got spanked badly last friday even w/ a rolling head start on a 99-ish Z which was obviously cammed. i knew before it started that i was toast but it was like i wasn't even trying as he went flying by w/ my foot all the way in 3rd. At the next light I gave the dude props and he told me he had b/w 375 to 400 rw. this was a low 12's n/a beast. got to give credit there

dollar for dollar in mods my beloved 3V 4.6 will always be breathing LS1 fumes.
will i still drop in the 4:10's in and other bang for the buck mods? yes. i'm just not going to feel bad when i may only kill 1 of every 3 LS1's. Now if Ford whips out the 3V 5.4 Boss i'll be wanting some retribution

Well you would be right if both engines responded to mods in the same fashion. I'm not positive but it seems the mustang responds to supercharging better than ls1's. Of course I may be wrong and someone please correct me if that is not the case. Forced Induction can even the displacement issue if the mustang actually does respond better to F/I.

hey everyone i am one of the proud ass kickers of a ls1 car i have a 98 gt with all the bolt ons and tires. i won by two cars aganist a 98 camaro. he could not make up.
so i would say that in no way shape or form is the ls1 touched by the hands of God.

ThreeWhiteGT said:
You need alot of mod's to hang with a Trans Am, let alone beat one.

If you can get that Supercharger you will be in Trans Am territory.

lmao

thanx i needed a good laugh

a ls-1 with aGOOD driver is a 13.2 second car stock a mustang with a good driver is a 13.5 car stock so they are not far from evenly matched stock for stock.

add a cold air intake and a custom tune and a cat back and gears and you are more then a match for one straight up period with those mods 12s are no problem on the stock tires with a good driver.

puting any of the 10 -12 psi blowers on the 05 and you now have a high 11 second car.

a stone stock 05 with a blower plus tune and gears is a 12 second flat to high 11 second car in the mid 112 mph range so it would blow a trans am off the road horribly

and im sorry but it would put even a pre 06 zo6 in the weeds in a straight line if you added bolt ons on top of the blower expect 116+ mph in the traps with gears exhaust custome tune and a 12 psi intercooled kit.

My best advice is goto the track and race one. Dont believe magazine roadtest, SOTP comparisons, anyone who is quoting their brothers consins half-boyfriends neighbor who doesnt know where the nearest strip is or owns either type of car but he just knows in his heart which is faster. Dont worry if you get beat...nobody is going to kill ya and if ya win a few on here aren't going to believe ya anyway. Just go and have fun.

1fastz said:
lmao

thanx i needed a good laugh

a ls-1 with aGOOD driver is a 13.2 second car stock a mustang with a good driver is a 13.5 car stock so they are not far from evenly matched stock for stock.
I beg to differ, but on equal footing an Ls1 should be 12.9 or better. This is not that uncommon with a lid alone lots have gone 12.8's or quicker. Go to ls1tech.com and have a look.

1fastz said:
add a cold air intake and a custom tune and a cat back and gears and you are more then a match for one straight up period with those mods 12s are no problem on the stock tires with a good driver.
agree, but would have to be one hell of a driver on normal tyres, DR's or ET's will make a big difference.

1fastz said:
puting any of the 10 -12 psi blowers on the 05 and you now have a high 11 second car.
true, but you can do that to an LS1 also.

a stone stock 05 with a blower plus tune and gears is a 12 second flat to high 11 second car in the mid 112 mph range so it would blow a trans am off the road horribly

and im sorry but it would put even a pre 06 zo6 in the weeds in a straight line if you added bolt ons on top of the blower expect 116+ mph in the traps with gears exhaust custome tune and a 12 psi intercooled kit.[/QUOTE]
a stock Z06 - maybe. But a few bolt ons and they'll trap 119-120mph.

Again check it out at ls1tech.com

A few years back after I put a few hundred miles on my then new '99 Z28 m6 I went to Bowling Green and tried it out. With a MTI lid/FRA/ 3" cat back I ran back to back to back 13.20-13.30's in 70 degree weather. That same night I met several other guys who owned other 98-99 Z and TA's. The only one in the 12's was a nitrous TA. We were discussing the GM HI-Tech issue that said Evan Smith ran 13.0's with a '98 and 12's with a '99 and it was a unamious vote of :bs: .Going back and watching home videos of racing trips from then to around 2004 I have seen very few LS1's in the 12's and NONE stock. That is fast in my book anyday but it isn't 12's stock. With a tune/CAI and the above mods 12.80's with street tires have been the best for me with drag radials. Bone stock my MPH never was above 105 stock and with mods 108 was the norm.Maybe with slicks and open exhaust 12's would be possible but with that lead crystal rear end I wouldn't advise it unless you have a trailer. I don't know if track location, extremely high humidity levels, extremely low ambient temps and a pinch of BS added for good measure but the only place I have seen a bone stock anything go 12's is in a magazine or on a message forum. Even at the F-Body Nats I have only met personally a handful of owners sneak into the 12's unless modded with at least a tune/ CAI/ exhaust/ drag radials. LS1s respond very well to mods and they are a marvel of modern technology but a modded car isn't a stock car. Going to the track and talking to other owners and racing is the only way you are going to find anything out. Maybe LS1's are just faster at ATCO or Pomona or Gainsville but at Bowling Green low 13's are the norm for a stocker. I am not saying a few 12 sec. stockers aren't out there but I am saying the odds of seeing one beside you in anytown USA is slim. Learn how to bang the gears and invest in a tune and a CAI and go hunting. Leave the BS to the ricers and the spectators.