whats a stock 5.0/5 speed get for MPG

Pur Pony

Founding Member
Sep 5, 2001
CT
I have never owned a basically stock 5.0/5 speed fox body.... all have been heavily modded

I was wondering what a 5.0 fox was rated for for city/highway MPG, and what people get......

I am thinking of buying another fox just to drive back and for to work and keep the miles off my truck......

cant decide between a 5.0 or a 2.3....... just looking for a driver.

• Sponsors (?)

My 90 LX w/ mods in sig (I consider it fairily stock) gets around 18mpg in the summer (less warm up). I'm not real sure on specifically highway and city; That's around 70% highway & 30% city driving with around 70-80mph avg on the highway and city driving with about 50% easy driving (shifting below 2500 rpm), 40% aggressive driving (shifting between 2501-4000rpm), and 10% hard driving (shifting over 4000 rpm).

When i first got my GT, it was stock, 5 spd with stock gears 2.92's i believe.

I could get 29 on the highway.....I run 3.73's now and get about 21.

I dont drive this car much but have clocked it on a few trips i took it.

I don't even want to figure out what i get beating it around town!

H/C/I can increase your gas mileage depending on what you get... as for stock I used to get about 17-18 in my old 86... then got it rebuilt stock with a b-cam and got 20-22... then installed 3.55's and got about 14-16 :)

Don't listen to anyone that says gears won't kill your gas mileage... they will and it only makes sense when you're turning more rpm.

I'd go find a civic Type XYZR or sumthin to beat around in :)

5spd GT said:
with gears and they do not have the proper speedo gear to match the internal tranny driven gear.

My car has the proper gear and I still get the same gas mileage... As I originally said, all MPG reports vary from person to person and the location / type of traffic that you drive in. 280 miles per tank is not uncommon from my car in traffic. Even more on the highway

srothfuss said:
My car has the proper gear and I still get the same gas mileage... As I originally said, all MPG reports vary from person to person and the location / type of traffic that you drive in. 280 miles per tank is not uncommon from my car in traffic. Even more on the highway

Based on using 14 gallons, if you go 280 miles, that's 20mpg, not bad, but no where near 30mpg.

30 mpg is around 420 miles per tank.
And this is all based on 14 gallons, when i think the tank holds 16.

I'm with 5 spd on this one, i think tire sizing, speedo gears and just plain old messed up odometers inflate some peoples numbers.
I've had 3 stock engines, and had my car since 93, I've probably bested ever like 20-22. Which is still in the believable area. 25 and above is a stretch IMO.

srothfuss said:
I get the same gas mileage with my gears as I did before my gears.

:scratch:Really- they killed my gas mileage!!! I drive fast though

I have an 01GT Automatic for a daily driver- gets about 18mpg usually and now a little higher with k&n and air baffle delete. I would highly recommend a 99-04GT... they're fairly quick and get decent gas mileage.

If $3.00 a gallon is the issue go buy an Integra Type G or another 4 banger- I had a crx that got 40mpg :) and a 2000 Civic EX that got 32

2000xp8 said:
Based on using 14 gallons, if you go 280 miles, that's 20mpg, not bad, but no where near 30mpg.

30 mpg is around 420 miles per tank.
And this is all based on 14 gallons, when i think the tank holds 16.

I'm with 5 spd on this one, i think tire sizing, speedo gears and just plain old messed up odometers inflate some peoples numbers.
I've had 3 stock engines, and had my car since 93, I've probably bested ever like 20-22. Which is still in the believable area. 25 and above is a stretch IMO.

I've had 2 stockers- I think the 86's just get bad gas mileage... I was getting about 215-230 a tank with gears and maybe 250-270 or so before that and I had the correct speedo gear... I think :shrug:

What color gear for an 86 t-5 3.55's... mine was red

when i bought my 91, i was getting bout 20 with the 3:08, bone stock, hard driving.
after intake, hpipe, pullies and 3:73 i get 22 mpg consistently. up to 27 on 50+ mile trips.
my 85 got 15 at time of purchase after small tuning got to 19(not bad for a carbed v8)
then after swap down to 11, and now with a little tuning 17mpg.