Whats new with my car...update

OinkAodeOink

Founding Member
Jun 5, 2002
Daytona bch, Florida
Im sure alot of you know about the turbo kit i built in the last 6 weeks.
Well i had it running and making boost ( 15psi +)
I knew the motor wasnt going to last, since i had a broken ring land before i even put the turbo on.. Broke it from the Vortech, on a crap tune.

Needless to say after a few 15+ psi passes on pump gas, down the local highway, I blew a head gasket to hell, and of coarse blew a TON of oil all over, from all the blow by, caused by the broken piston.
But let me tell ya.. It was insane on 15psi. Stayed pretty striaght to my surprise, and really frekin got down a moved.

Plan is... built up the sportsman block i have sitting in the garage to a 306.. good crank, rods, bolts, pistons.. use some head studs ( 1/2") and some good HG's this time. Should be back in running shorty. Ide give it less then a month.

blownhg1.jpg

crackedpistonringland1.jpg

torndownengine01.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Damn, that sucks. You went through all that work and to have it go that quick. Good luck with the new shortblock. Make sure to girdle that thing, I'm not hearing very good things about the sportman block... I hope you have better luck than most have with it.

Damn man that sucks!! Yo should of taking it easier the first couple of weeks. But hey if you have the finances, its just an excuse to do something bigger and better.

Good luck with the new engine.

The piston was already cracked before the turbo went on. Just figured ide crank the boost up real high and see how hard i could beat on it, and have alittle fun with it. You wouldnt believe how bad it was pinging!

It actually still ran decent with the damage, but i was sick of the oil spewing all over, so i decided to pull the motor and do it over. No problem.. This time im going to make everything look real nice under the hood, and mold in the fenders ( on the engine bay side) and repaint it all under the hood.

only took a couple hours to pull all that off. no big deal...

OinkAodeOink said:
This time im going to make everything look real nice under the hood, and mold in the fenders ( on the engine bay side) and repaint it all under the hood.

That's almost funny!!! Your engine bay is sick as it is!!! When you say mold in the fenders, so you mean fill in all the unused holes?

I seriously had dreams last night that my '90 was all done and I was drag racing it, launching on the transbrake and pulling the wheels off the ground!!! I wish that dream could become a reality sooner than it will.

Did you make a post listing everything you have parts wise into your turbo setup? If so, I'd like to look over it. I wanted to do a JY single buildup, but the powerstroke turbo seems too big on the exhaust side to work with the stock longblock like I plan to use.

The powestroke is GOOD ENOUGH.

I am using a powerstroke in the Notchback...

Of course spool time is incredibly long, but it is worth it.. btw I am running stock AOD with 3:73 gears... going to have to go with 4:10's.

If I had a camera I would love to take pictures and show you.

Also on the way is a 1988 4cyl LX, converted to carb'd 347, with a T04b turbo. Should be a very nice setup.

Pete

That would be the engine coolant.. gets pumped into the eigine by the waterpump. That s*it goes everywhere when you take off the heads :p

That kinda sucks about your car mike, but at least it's making you build up your 306 sooner. Think it'll start up once you get it all put back together or still got an electrical problem somewhere?

All right I have a question for all you homemade turbo gurus. How do-able is a homemade turbo setup for someone like me who has little experience with turbos, but has done almost everything else on my car (heads, cam, etc.). Also, I have heard about people having tuning problems with turbo cars. How are you guys solving this issue.

All right I have a question for all you homemade turbo gurus. How do-able is a homemade turbo setup for someone like me who has little experience with turbos, but has done almost everything else on my car (heads, cam, etc.). Also, I have heard about people having tuning problems with turbo cars. How are you guys solving this issue.

If you have a welder and you know howto use it i would give it a shot. Plus some fabrication ability will help as well.

ah i wouldnt worry... That damage wasnt even from the turbo.

Damage was done with the Vortech on 14psi non intercooled.
Car was never tuned, and had a severe problem with detonation.
That and i was running somwhere around 9.5:1 compression on 93 octane.

I wouldnt hessitate to throw a turbo kit on a 90.. Specially since they have forged TRW's stock. Easy 475+ h/p machine right there ( bone stock motor)