Wheel Lock And Rim Issue

dsd1983

Jun 10, 2014
Wheel lock and rim issue
Got a new set of wheels for my wifes 2007 mustang. They are the saleen 20 inch wheels to replace the stock ones.

I got them mounted and balanced and shipped to me. Put them on and now I have an issue.

First off I noticed when I was putting on my last wheel (passenger side) i noticed that there were two retainer type washers on the rotor and it was causing the wheel not to sit flat on the rotor. i removed them and it went on as normal. Since I noticed this i went and checked the driver wheel that I had already put on (i did not notice the retainer on it) and went to take it off to check. Well low and behold the damn wheel lock stripped out. The key will go on the pattern but slips everytime i try to turn it. It is not coming off. So I then said well maybe it is ok and I wont need to take it off. I looked at the wheel and noticed a slight gap on one side of the wheel. I guess that wheel had one retainer on it and i was able to get the wheel on with out it wobbling like the passenger side did which threw up this red flag. Now my driver side wheel is stuck on there and i checked the gap on the one side of the rotor with a feeler gauge and it came up to .017 and the other side is flush.

So my question is

#1, any ideas how to get this wheel lock off? And I did try my craftsman set of wheel lock removers and the lug is too close to the side of the lug hole opening in the wheel, in other words I cant get the remover on to get this thing off. There is also not enough room to beat on a socket and get this thing to come off.

#2, how much of a concern is this gap on my rotor? will my wheel come off in time or be a problem, worst part is this is my wifes car and she doesnt pay attention to vibrations or whatever, as long as the car starts she will get in and go without a second thought. i dont want to turn her loose in the car if this is going to cause her a safety issue. She is also planning to take this car to florida in the next week.

Can anyone weigh in on this?

Thank you

Doug

• Sponsors (?)

Here is a pic of the wheel in question

Attachments

• IMG_20140610_165103.jpg
    IMG_20140610_165103.jpg
    416.9 KB · Views: 107