wheels!

Folly77

Jun 10, 2005
Virginia
I bought a set of white lacy wheels and center caps off another II owner and they arrived Thursday! the wheels need big-time cleaning and a little TLC. I'm trying to decide whether to paint or powdercoat them. Recommendations?

p.s. As you can see I'm going for the squinty-eyed-goofy-three-sizes-too-big-coverall-donated-by-a-male-relative look that is all the rage on Paris and Milan fashion runways. :D

edited to add that I don't usually wear coveralls while working on my car. hehe My brother gave them to me and has been bugging me to wear them probably so he can laugh at me -- I had this pic taken for him. Now he can laugh and get it over with.)

View attachment 507073

• Sponsors (?)

Denice, I would suggest having them stripped and powdercoated. You'd need to add the red stripe back on either way (painted or powdercoated) if you wanted it, so that doesn't matter. Powdercoating will last much longer, plus you'll get a better uniform coating in the lacey part over painting. Make sure you use someone who is experianced in coating wheels, and also make sure you use a place with a tire machine that doesn't touch the rim lip.

Hope this helps.

BTW, those rims should look GREAT on your white coupe!

Power Surge said:
Denice, I would suggest having them stripped and powdercoated. You'd need to add the red stripe back on either way (painted or powdercoated) if you wanted it, so that doesn't matter. Powdercoating will last much longer, plus you'll get a better uniform coating in the lacey part over painting. Make sure you use someone who is experianced in coating wheels, and also make sure you use a place with a tire machine that doesn't touch the rim lip.

Hope this helps.

BTW, those rims should look GREAT on your white coupe!

thanks! I was leaning towards powdercoating but wasn't sure I'd be able to have the red stripe re-done. Can you paint on powdercoat?

wheels are being powdercoated!

I called a few places today and got some estimates on the wheels (stripping and powdercoating). One shop wanted $500 to do the set. I took them to another place and they wanted $360. I said I'd think about it and the owner knocked $20 off each wheel before I could get out the door. So $280. This place powdercoats a lot of wheels. Both shops were recommended by Mustang owners in my area. I don't know how the prices compare to other places around the country but here in Northern VA everything's more expensive. The price seemed reasonable for the amount of work involved especially after the first estimate of $500. And this shop is a big operation that does quality work. But it's hard to know if $280 is high or low or just right or what.

anyway, I'll have them back in 7-10 days. I also have the name of a place that will re-do the stripe. But first I've got to scrounge up $280. LOL

Folly77 said:
I called a few places today and got some estimates on the wheels (stripping and powdercoating). One shop wanted $500 to do the set. I took them to another place and they wanted $360. I said I'd think about it and the owner knocked $20 off each wheel before I could get out the door. So $280. This place powdercoats a lot of wheels. Both shops were recommended by Mustang owners in my area. I don't know how the prices compare to other places around the country but here in Northern VA everything's more expensive. The price seemed reasonable for the amount of work involved especially after the first estimate of $500. And this shop is a big operation that does quality work. But it's hard to know if $280 is high or low or just right or what.

anyway, I'll have them back in 7-10 days. I also have the name of a place that will re-do the stripe. But first I've got to scrounge up $280. LOL

Denice, $280 is a great price. There is a LOT of prep work to blast all the nooks and crannys on those wheels. I'd expect to pay about $125 per wheel out here where I am.

Power Surge said:
Denice, $280 is a great price. There is a LOT of prep work to blast all the nooks and crannys on those wheels. I'd expect to pay about $125 per wheel out here where I am.

I was wondering about the cost ~ it's a relief to know I didn't get charged too much.