Where are the mustangs being built?

• Sponsors (?)

phantom05 said:
flat rock MI. Your call...

Hmm.... 300 miles.

Fly out on Friday for $52 one-way and pick up car.
DTW is about 11 miles from Flat Rock, so $20-30 for cab.
Friday night a cheap motel = $50

So $150 for me to drive it versus 625 delivery charge.

Saturday, a 4-5 hour drive home in the new car.

I guess my concern is, what if it breaks down in the first 300 miles!!

Unless I am mistaken, the car would have to be delivered at a Ford dealership. I think there is one extremely close, but there doesn't appear to be any facilities at the plant where the delivery inspection would be done. In addition, the financial transaction and title work would need to be performed at a dealer. I believe the delivery charge is applied, no matter where the car is sent, even if it was the dealership just down the street.

asa96fmc said:
Unless I am mistaken, the car would have to be delivered at a Ford dealership. I think there is one extremely close, but there doesn't appear to be any facilities at the plant where the delivery inspection would be done. In addition, the financial transaction and title work would need to be performed at a dealer. I believe the delivery charge is applied, no matter where the car is sent, even if it was the dealership just down the street.

Bummer. besides, if the car broke down 100 miles outside detroit in the middle of nowhere then I'd be quite pissed. Better to stick around here where I'm no more than 3-4 miles from a ford dealership at any time.

asa96fmc said:

You are correct. The big 3's contracts with the teamsters union specifies a uniform delivery charge no matter where the car is delivered. So even if Ford let you pick up your car @ Flat Rock, you would still have to pay the delivery charge.

But Ford will NOT let you pick up your car @ an ass'y plant. You must take delivery of your car through a Ford dealer. I used to work for a company that bought over 2,000 Ford's per year. The deal was arranged directly between Ford and the company, but delivery of ALL cars was through Ford & Lincoln Mercury dealers.