Where the hell can I find water pump/timing cover bolts and studs?

• Sponsors (?)

A friend of mine ordered the arp water pump/timing cover kit. If I remember only a few bolts worked and obviously they don't come with the studs. This is why I went to Lowes and matched up the bolts I need in grade 8. Each bolt was about $1.50, then either order the stud kit from autozone or buy the studs from Ford.

i've come to the conclusion that ARP doesn't have and (over the past years of others with this problem as well), will probaly never make a kit for the EFI 302. look at all the stuff they make already, how hard would it be for them to make these studs and package 'em with bolts they already have made? mabey they think it isn't worth their time to do this, i dunno. i bought the engine bolt kit that cost like $125 for the black oxide, and i prob only used about 30% of the bolts. the kit is made for the older 302, not late model. would have been cheaper to order the ones that I needed.

I ordered the Ford water pump stud kit from autozone today for $7.99. I should have it in a few days. Hopefully its exactly what i need. All said and done it will have cost be $20.

I've been going through this exact same problem.

I snapped a bolt off so bad removing my water pump, that I had to yank the engine, and I essentially decided to build another engine. Screw those GODDAMN water pump bolts.

**** arp too, they are a joke. I called them, and asked them if their kit came with studs, and the dumb lady on the phone says "we don't make studs". I said, HUH? Then I asked how in hell you're supposed to bolt your accessories on with their bolt kit, and she said, I don't know, we don't make studs.

Please, update me with that stud kit from vatozone.

Another option is to just get some length of simple hardware studs, and thread it into the block, cutting it at the right length, then simply screw a nut down. No reason why the nut has to be secured on the stud.

I went to the yards last weekend, and found an 89 gt, and all of the water pump bolts were actually loose, pleasant surprise, so I'm going to use all of those

23744.jpg

The studs you need are Ford part #s 388433s2 and 388434s2. I don't remember which one is the shorter one or which one is the longer one. They are a bit pricey, Ford has jacked up the price on them over the last year or so. Why they are so hard to find is that they are 5/16-18 thread on the bolt side and 3/8 thread on the stud side for the accessory bolt down. Otherwise the timing cover and wp are bolted down with standard 5/16-18 bolts available most anywhere. ALWAYS clean the snot out of them and slather anti-sieze on them before reinstallation as mentioned. The combination of aluminum and iron near water along with the bolts small diameter and long length make a disaster waiting to happen upon disassembly. :bang:

I finally got the stud/bolt kit. It came with 1 stud (the meduim size stud, not the longest one and not the short ones) and it came with 1 bolt (its useless for a 5.0) I'll be returning it tomorrow. I came home and compared it to the stud I needed and its not the long one i need.

I'm just going to reuse the 2 stock studs I need and the rest i'm gonna use the grade 8 bolts I bought from Lowes.

Hey by chance can you tell me what the location of this long one is on the water pump? Don't have my car with me, and only about 2 inches of stud in my hand.... I do know which ones I broke off though.