Where to buy GT-40P Heads

larrendeuce

Sep 13, 2003
Southern NJ
I read on here you could get them at autozone and they would take your E7's as a core. I tried asking for the heads a couple of times but all they can order in the computer is edelbrock heads, they don't have the stock ones. Does anyone know of other parts stores that might carry them? If not who do you trust online? 50 resto doesn't have them anymore either. :bs:

• Sponsors (?)

Tri State Cylinder Head in Evansville Indiana sells them for $450 a pair complete, new castings and new parts. .600 lift springs and a 5 angle valve job. Thats where I got mine. I paid $504 delivered to my door that included sales tax because I am in the same state as tey are. Their # is (812) 421-0095. I live in Indiana but it only took a week to get them. They build them when you order.

bubba-dough said:
Tri State Cylinder Head in Evansville Indiana sells them for $450 a pair complete, new castings and new parts. .600 lift springs and a 5 angle valve job. Thats where I got mine. I paid $504 delivered to my door that included sales tax because I am in the same state as tey are. Their # is (812) 421-0095. I live in Indiana but it only took a week to get them. They build them when you order.

Thats close to Ported E7 heads, which flow better then stock GT-40P's. The parts stores used to have the pair of GT-40P's for $250 after core.

larrendeuce said:
Thats close to Ported E7 heads, which flow better then stock GT-40P's. The parts stores used to have the pair of GT-40P's for $250 after core.
you asked where to get GT-40p's at.....if ported E7's are better (which they arent) then get them instead....just answering the ?

Nutzy19 said:
you asked where to get GT-40p's at.....if ported E7's are better (which they arent) then get them instead....just answering the ?

Thanks for telling me about the place. I was looking for a better price, but a price and a place is better then none at all. :p

Are the GT-40P's from that place ported? Every flow chart I've seen(MM&FF, AFM, etc.) The Powerheads ported E7's flow more then the Gt-40P's. The reason I wanted the explorer heads was the cheap price and the performance gain. :shrug:

larrendeuce said:
Thanks for telling me about the place. I was looking for a better price, but a price and a place is better then none at all. :p

Are the GT-40P's from that place ported? Every flow chart I've seen(MM&FF, AFM, etc.) The Powerheads ported E7's flow more then the Gt-40P's. The reason I wanted the explorer heads was the cheap price and the performance gain. :shrug:
Its not all about flow...its burn and swirl that make a diff... The P heads utilize a better combustion chamber shape then the E7's and respond well to porting. I prefer to save my money and buy the p's and hop up to aluminums when 300-350 horse isnt enough anymore and I want to throw reliability out the window. Its still a daily driver. The heads from them are not ported but have been modified for better performance with a Valve job and high lift springs..

Nutzy19 may be the only one paying attention. You stated earlier the cheap price and performance gain was why you were looking at the gt40p. The e7 may flow as good with a few hundred dollars worth of porting, but what do you have...e7's. Port the gt40p and then compare them. BTW I haven't ever seen a pair of new gt40p's with a valve job and high lift springs for less than $450. I have also not found them at a parts store. I did a lot of shopping for mine.

bubba-dough said:
Nutzy19 may be the only one paying attention. You stated earlier the cheap price and performance gain was why you were looking at the gt40p. The e7 may flow as good with a few hundred dollars worth of porting, but what do you have...e7's. Port the gt40p and then compare them. BTW I haven't ever seen a pair of new gt40p's with a valve job and high lift springs for less than $450. I have also not found them at a parts store. I did a lot of shopping for mine.
I called them and spoke to a guy named Jerry... they have 7000 left so better act fast!!!lol..... I am really pleased with this find and I am ordering a set next week...GOOD JOB BUBBA!!!! Im a manager of an Autozone and I couldnt touch that price.

I've spent along time researching heads. While flow numbers are easy to come by, objective horsepower numbers are not. I believe MM&FF did a dyno of several entry level cylinder heads but I think I missed the issue. :( I've found the explorer heads are better as cast then the E7's. Does anyone have dyno graphs or time slips to show the difference between the stock explorer heads and the ported E7's. Has anyone compared thumper heads to the explorer heads?