where to put rear bars for a roll bar in coupe with a battery box in the trunk?

Champ10187

Founding Member
Dec 30, 2001
Detroit, MI
I'm looking into getting a 6 or 8 pt roll bar for my coupe but if there is a battery box in the trunk, where would the two bars that come into the trunk area go? Can they go to the shock towers or do they have to go further back? Pics of roll bars in a coupe would be awesome. thanks

• Sponsors (?)

unfortunately you're not going to get a good respose here unless you ask about x pipe or h pipe or which heads or cam is better and wait for brandloyal kids to argue about it without any technical information. i can point you to the autopower website http://www.autopowerindustries.com/Mustang_Drag_Roll_Bar.htm or http://www.autopowerindustries.com/Application_List.htm which has more information. I think that 6 points would be considered a 'bar' whereas if you upgrade to an 8 point if would be a 'cage'. i can tell you that i have the '4 pt' street/sport bar with the removable brace and the 'frame' of it is very similar to the frame of that 6 point bar. it has the main loop over your head, the rear diagonals going back behind you with the cross brace for the harness plus that has the front diagonals going into the engine compartment or firewall. in my application and from what i can tell of that picture it has the same rear bars which just attached onto my inner wheelwells .. they did not extend into the trunk area. here's the only picture i have that shows the rear bar mount but it basically just sits over the rear inner wheelwell, you could weld it into it or bolt it through with the braces underneath like i did.
http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/9/web/213000-213999/213657_140_full.jpg

Champ10187, many companies who make roll cages make downward bent rear bars with a 50 degree angle, which mounts them right about where the shock towers are.... or in the middle of the towers, rather. I'm looking at the Competition Enginering 8 point cage because it's very affordable ($159) and Holcomb Motorsports has them, which is like 30 minutes from me and I can go pick it up and save on shipping. They also have the 50degree rear bars for $39.95 and Comp. Engineering says that thier purpose is to be able to retain the rear seats "in many cars", but more than anything, I see these type rear bars in coupes. They seem to be perfect for a coupe.
I also already have a battery box in the very back corner of my hatch, on the passenger's side and I'm worried about the box being in the way with the straight rear bars. I really don't want to move the battery box, so I may get the bent rear bars. I don't really think that the bent bars are absolutely needed to retain rear seats because I see Mustangs with rear seats and the straight rear bars all the time. I'll move the battery box if I really have to, but I don't want to get rid of my rear seats.
Hope this helps...and I'll be subscribing to this thread as I'm interested in ANY info on cages that I can get right now.

Haxored said:
Do roll bars really save you ? Do you have any pics of crashed cars with roll bars?
How well do they do on impacts ?
How well would it do in a traffic accident?
im very curious and would like the extra safety....

Thanks for the info !

Roll bars are just as much for the chassis strengthening and stiffening as they are for safety, but they do contribute to both. Ultimately both aspects will rely on just how much roll bar you have, more bars and points equal more strength, stiffness and safety. A 2 or 4 point cage will do more for stiffening your chassis than add safety, and a 2 point is nearly pointless. I'd go with a 4 at the very least, and a 6 would be even better.

I'm not sure, but i cant even count how many points a NASCAR cage has in them, because it's a tubular chassis so pretty much the whole inside of the car is a cage. Your typical autocross car could have anything from 10 points to twice that many, depending on if they built it through the firewall and into the fenders.