Which bell housing for TKO500?

stang0f87 said:
i've read on this post bout the sfi bellhousing's need for an extended fork. my clutch seems plenty hard as it is. couldn't imagine making it worse. would that upgrade really be that significant?

GET IT!! The SFI Bell is wider than the aluminum so if you keep the stock fork it will be right at the edge of the SFI. The extended will bring it out and also ease up your clutch pressure. Anderson has the pro-motion fork for around $90.

• Sponsors (?)

something else i was thinkin bout doing while i'm at it. maybe a firewall adjuster. not something i've done. everything's stock now so far as that stuff goes. could i reuse my old clutch cable thats in the car now? i've read that its better to stay with the oem cables rather than mess with the aftermarket stuff. bet its a pain of a job ain't it. any info thrown to this novice would be nice

stang0f87 said:
something else i was thinkin bout doing while i'm at it. maybe a firewall adjuster. not something i've done. everything's stock now so far as that stuff goes. could i reuse my old clutch cable thats in the car now? i've read that its better to stay with the oem cables rather than mess with the aftermarket stuff. bet its a pain of a job ain't it. any info thrown to this novice would be nice

I got the Steeda double hook quadrant, cable, and firewall adjustment. This is a great setup and I highly suggest you invest in something besides the stocker.

View attachment 509363

The risk of the stocker is that with a heavier clutch, it will stretch thereby causing it to not self-adjust properly and then glaze your clutch and cause slippage. If you can, replace the clutch cable and quadrant because you will thank yourself in the future. It is really not a bad job at all. Okay ... I'll shut up now so someone else can answer your questions. :D Sounds like you have properly researched everything ... unlike a lot of people. You are sure to have a great setup. Good luck and let me know if I can help at all.

Grn92LX said:
A scattershield is a steel bellhousing designed to protect you in the event of a clutch/flywheel breakage. Its a bit more expensive and its larger. If you car about safety or plan on racing a lot, i'd get one. Like said above, the mcleod/FMS bell is a good one. I run it. It comes with all new bolts.

An aluminum flywheel has a few benefits. It will allow you to rev up faster (its about 12lbs lighter than a stocker I believe) and its less wear and tear on your rotating assembly and main bearings. I run an aluminum flywheel. If your gonna be buying a new one, i'd buy an aluminum one. If you ever build a stroker down the road, you can use it on the stroker. It comes with a 28 and 50 oz weight and a little bolt incase you run 0 balance. Only bad thing about it is its pricey.

You will not need a driveshaft spacer, thats for 94/95's with a tremec. A new trans mount is a good idea. I run prothane trans and motor mounts fyi. You will need an extended fork if you run a scattershield to keep the cable alignment perfect. You will need to grind the welds on your xmember and slide it back. Unless things changed for the newer tremecs, you will need to pick up 3 quarts of gm syncromesh fluid.

I would pick up some arp flywheel bolts. I run the higher strength ones, part # arp-200-2802

My car is my daily driver that will rarely see the track. I'm not running tons of power as of now (see sig), but I do plan on adding a small blower down the road. Do you think I really need a scattershield w/extended clutch fork? Shouldn't I be fine with just the stock TKO bellhousing with no extended fork?