Which Brand UD Pulleys?

NK06Roush

May 3, 2006
Long Island, NY
Hi I'm new to the site but I wanted to ask is there a big difference in the performance / reliabilty of UD pulleys. I know there has been a lot of posts about ud pulley's but I wanted to ask about the Roush pulleys specifically. Since I have a Roush mustang, I wanted to keep it the same by getting the Roush UD pulleys. Are these good in terms of their performance as compared to others such as steeda?

I just got my car a week ago and I plan on adding the pulleys, CAI and exhaust although I am not sure what brand CAI I will use or what exhaust set up I am going to go with also.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Any opinions on exhaust? I am looking to keep it street legal. I want louder sound but not too much so that it is umbearable. I heard that by adding a cat back system I would not be getting any power - only sound. Am I better off going with a high-flow cat xpipe or shortie headers and keeping the Roush mufflers? I am looking to get a combo of power and sound rather than just sound.

i have never heard the roush mufflers, so i cant compare. but i recommend flows and an O/R H pipe. this is totally a personal preference.

dont waste your $$ on shorties. an X pipe w/ high flow cats would change your sound also. it mught free up a little power, but the stock exhaust is very efficient!! not a ton of power to be had, unless you spend about $1000 on long tube headers.

bigcat said:
since you have a roush, keep it roush. roush and steeda share technology with ford, and both would be a good choice.
Agreed 100% Both Roush and Steeda share technology, with Ford and are also Ford dealers, in fact if you live nearby any Roush or Steeda Ford dealership, you can order the UD pulley's direct through them, and if you also allow their technicians, to install the pulleys..It does not affect you're warranty..:nice:

NK06Roush said:
Any opinions on exhaust? I am looking to keep it street legal. I want louder sound but not too much so that it is umbearable. I heard that by adding a cat back system I would not be getting any power - only sound. Am I better off going with a high-flow cat xpipe or shortie headers and keeping the Roush mufflers? I am looking to get a combo of power and sound rather than just sound.
Unless you're just looking for a throatier sound, you're not going to gain much of anything power wise, also you're stock cats, are considered as high-flow factory cats to begin with.. So unless you plan on installing an off road H pipe, without cats, you really aren't any better off.. Anyway, you're factory exhaust and H pipe are much less restrictive and flow much better, compared to the now outdated 94-04 Mustangs. You also wouldn't be any better off, replacing you're factory exhaust manifolds, unless you go with Long Tube headers and maybe, equal length shorties, but anything else, is considered useless and a complete waste of money, IMO

Anybody have experience with the UD pulleys? What kind of gains are they getting? Any seat-of-the-pants dynos?
I'm just wondering if they're worth the $$$ when I order the CAI/Tune.....
Those UD's arent cheap!:bang: :nonono:

red05bullitgt said:
Unless you're just looking for a throatier sound, you're not going to gain much of anything power wise, also you're stock cats, are considered as high-flow factory cats to begin with.. So unless you plan on installing an off road H pipe, without cats, you really aren't any better off.. Anyway, you're factory exhaust and H pipe are much less restrictive and flow much better, compared to the now outdated 94-04 Mustangs. You also wouldn't be any better off, replacing you're factory exhaust manifolds, unless you go with Long Tube headers and maybe, equal length shorties, but anything else, is considered useless and a complete waste of money, IMO

Thats what I have been hearing. I remember when I had my '01 GT I got some decent results from adding exhaust.

I am definitely looking for a throatier sound. However I would also like some performance. Now say I add the equal length shorties; would that give me the throatier sound I am looking for? I def. want the car to be louder. However not too loud. When I had my '01 GT I had MAC catback and an offroad X-pipe and the thing was wayyy too loud. I def. don't want this car to be that loud or raw sounding. I also would like to keep it street legal, but if I can gain some decent power and have a nice, not too loud sound, I may consider putting another offroad pipe in there but with the same mufflers.

First, I would get a Intake/Tuner, Pullies, maybe new suspension to get rid of the annoying wheel hop, then if your Roush isnt a stage 2 then I'd get the Roush suspention package that the stage 2 and 3 roushes have. Last, I'd look into getting a new X/H pipe and headers. But I would keep the Roush mufflers... I'm not sure if other mufflers would fix because of the way the roush rear bumper is.

V8JamesGT said:
First, I would get a Intake/Tuner, Pullies, maybe new suspension to get rid of the annoying wheel hop, then if your Roush isnt a stage 2 then I'd get the Roush suspention package that the stage 2 and 3 roushes have. Last, I'd look into getting a new X/H pipe and headers. But I would keep the Roush mufflers... I'm not sure if other mufflers would fix because of the way the roush rear bumper is.

Yeah I already have a stage 2 so I'm set with the suspension. I am def. getting the pulleys, CAI/tune but I also want to get the exhaust at the same time. I was thinking of equal length shortie headers and possibly an offroad x or h-pipe but I am just worried about getting the car inspected. What does everyone on this forum do when inspection time comes? Also does putting on a catless x or h-pipe make any lights come in the cars dash? or does the tune take care of that?

if you really wanted different sound, you could swap tips from the roush to the new mufflers after you find the sound you are looking for, without any issues with the bumper cutouts.

When people with offroad pipes have to go in for inspection testing, most of the time they put the stock H pipe back on for the test and then switch it back afterwards. A catless X or H pipe will throw a check engine light because of the O2 sensor but I think the tuners can turn them off or you could buy plugs that fix it.

you can turn off the rear O2 sensors with the tuner. you can move to a different state to avoid inspections. :rlaugh: we dont have them here. most people either swap them out with te stock ones for the test, or some claim that their car will be a track only vehicle by then and dont care.

I'v never had experience with installing or changing out h or x-pipes. I mean when inspection time comes, is this an easy task to swap back in the stock pipe? or is this something a mechanic can do relatively cheaply and easily? Also if the o2 censor does come on, does it effect the way the car drives or is this basically just an inidcator light?
Thanks

NK06Roush said:
Thats what I have been hearing. I remember when I had my '01 GT I got some decent results from adding exhaust.

I am definitely looking for a throatier sound. However I would also like some performance. Now say I add the equal length shorties; would that give me the throatier sound I am looking for? I def. want the car to be louder. However not too loud. When I had my '01 GT I had MAC catback and an offroad X-pipe and the thing was wayyy too loud. I def. don't want this car to be that loud or raw sounding. I also would like to keep it street legal, but if I can gain some decent power and have a nice, not too loud sound, I may consider putting another offroad pipe in there but with the same mufflers.
Well if you're also looking for performance, an exhaust alone isn't going to cut it..You either have to go with Long tube, or equal length shorty headers or an off road H or X pipe without cats combo. Other than that..there is no other way, to increase performance..On the other hand, an off road H pipe along with equal length shorty headers, would more than likely, also provide more of that throatier sound, you're looking for. Also, if you have inspection concerns, about an off road H pipe, you may want to check with you're state's Dept. of Motor Vehicles, and find out if they have whats called, an emissions exemption policy..And if you're state does have it..ask them what the requirements are..Here's how it works in my state, for example if you put 4000 Miles or less, on you're vehicle each year.. you are automatically exempt from emissions testing, meaning that all you're required by law, is have you're vehicle pass you're state's safety inspection, which has nothing to do with an off road H pipe, that falls under the emissions requirements, in which you would be exempt from anyway..So look into it, and find out if it's available, and if it is..you won't have to bother changing anything, when inspection time comes..Anyway that's another option, that may be available to you..So hope it all works out, and Good Luck...:flag:

red05bullitgt said:
Well if you're also looking for performance, an exhaust alone isn't going to cut it..You either have to go with Long tube, or equal length shorty headers or an off road H or X pipe without cats combo. Other than that..there is no other way, to increase performance..On the other hand, an off road H pipe along with equal length shorty headers, would more than likely, also provide more of that throatier sound, you're looking for. Also, if you have inspection concerns, about an off road H pipe, you may want to check with you're state's Dept. of Motor Vehicles, and find out if they have whats called, an emissions exemption policy..And if you're state does have it..ask them what the requirements are..Here's how it works in my state, for example if you put 4000 Miles or less, on you're vehicle each year.. you are automatically exempt from emissions testing, meaning that all you're required by law, is have you're vehicle pass you're state's safety inspection, which has nothing to do with an off road H pipe, that falls under the emissions requirements, in which you would be exempt from anyway..So look into it, and find out if it's available, and if it is..you won't have to bother changing anything, when inspection time comes..Anyway that's another option, that may be available to you..So hope it all works out, and Good Luck...:flag:

If I want to add just an Off road x-pipe or H-pipe, do I need to also add headers or am I ok with the stock manifolds? Also would just adding the offroad h or xpipe, would that give me a significant sounds increase? and finaly, what is better or gives more performance - offroad Hpipe of offroad xpipe?

Thanks

the O/R H will really make a sound difference :D x or h mainly depends on the mufflers you run. one may sound bad with a certain muffler. for example, an o/r x and flows souns horrible, but the o/r h with flows is great. the x is said to give better gains on the top end, while the h gives more low end torque.

I agree with Bigcat 100% and would also recommend trying just the off road X or H pipe first, and see if that provides enough of that throatier sound, you're looking for and afterwards, if you still feel that it's not enough, only then would I add the equal length shorties.. And besides, an off road H pipe is a lot less expensive, than equal length shorty headers, so I would definitely start there first..