Which CAI do you use?

JMAN311

Jun 17, 2005
I'm trying to figure out what CAI to go with when I get an 06 GT.

From what i've read it sounds like JLT might be the way to go. How do any of you like the C&L?

Have any of you used the Steeda CAI?

Also which programmer works best with the JLT....I have seen a mixture of the SCT and the Diablo with the JLT CAI.

So pretty much I'm just wondering what you all think is the best CAI/Programmer combo for best HP gains.

Thanks,
JMAN311

• Sponsors (?)

i believe that the C&L is made of aluminum. metal transfers heat. i think many people ar staying away from it for that reason. one member has a dyno sheet of the JLT & C&L CAI with a predator tune. both seem really close to each other.

FWIW, I recently installed a C&L CAI with the Diablo 93 custom tune, and I'm now as happy as a 'pig in s**t'.:D
Much smoother and snappier throttle response(just like the way the throttle on my '68 Roadrunner's Carter 4-bbl carb used to respond), no more hesitation(the factory tune's stumbling problem that drove me nuts when slowing down and then accelerating after a long steady speed highway run is history), jumps off the line a lot quicker, and pulls a ton in 2nd and 3rd gear all the way to the revised 6500 rpm redline with no soft spots.

Unfortunately, I do not have access to either to a dyno or to a 1/4 mile dragstrip, so I cannot give any actual ' before-and-after' numbers.
But being a muscle car owner from the '60's who squeezed out additional performance by modifying distributors, adjusting timing curves, re-jetting carbs, installing headers, etc., I can attest that the Stang definitely runs much smoother and much faster, and is a lot more responsive with the new CAI and custom tune.

Also, out of curiosity I felt the aluminum air intake pipe with my hand after a hard 50 mile combined highway and city run today(last 5 miles were city), and it was just slightly warm(105 F +/-).
So based on this observation, I personally have no concerns whatsoever regarding a loss of hp being caused by the intake pipe heating the inlet air, especially when one considers the relatively high velocity of the inlet air inside the pipe and the resultant minimal contact time that it has with the pipe's walls, even when the engine is running only at idle rpm.

I got the K&N with the Predator 91 octane tune and SLP Loudmouths out back. Couldn't be happier!
Butt-o-Meter say power in the 3200-5500 band is Schweeeeet! Revs to redline like a 4 barrel car now...First time after putting it all on I hit the rev limiter because it revs SO MUCH FASTER now...

Jay

I have the JLT and SCT XCal 2 with 93 JLT octane tune. Very happy with it, no problems, great throttle response, car hauls the chili, really woke it up. Very pleased.

I have some UPR billet pieces under the hood, just caps and stuff and they get REALLY hot. I can't see why the C&L wouldn't do the same, and flow warmer air. JLT costs half as much, and dyno runs are just about the same.

Attachments

• jltcai2s (Small).jpg
    jltcai2s (Small).jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 103
Echoing Ski. His thoughts and impressions exactly mirror mine. After a long day of hard driving, the inlet tube is warm but not hot to the touch. I would recommend this kit to ANYONE considering a CAI. See my CarDomain page in my sig for my review and pics. Stop thinking about it, go ahead and do it! :D

I want to add in a good CAI/exhaust/tune as well but only have about 1500 miles on the car....do you guys think the car is ready? BTW those miles were put on in one week :rolleyes:

I have the Steeda CAI coupled with Steeda's SCT tune. The Steeda CAI now has the 90MM MAF. The intake tubing going from the MAF to the throttle body is only cosmetic. Atleast, I haven't seen any dyno charts or flow charts proving that the tubing does squat. I think that if the tubing would have been significant, Ford would have made it and Steeda would have had one already. I'm pretty sure Steeda is ahead of the curve. I've seen a ported and cammed 4.6L 3V at their shop.

I have driven around town - on the highway and for 2 hrs + at one time the C&L is barely warm to the touch - never gets hot. I am absolutely happy with C&L - no issues - no filter falling off problems as exp with JLT. Installation was a breeze and C&L and diablo provide a tune for the set up.

Performance wise - the tune made the greatest difference. No more throttle lag and the car moves like a BAt out Of hell

Thanks for all the input....I'm also curious about what nick85 mentioned with how much the car should be broken in before modding or how much it should be broke in before running it on a dyno. Also do you all think that you would have to be friends with people in the service department to get warranty done if you are using an aftermarket CAI?