Which coil to buy?

69Rcode_Mach1

Apr 20, 2004
Salt Lake City, Utah
Hey guys I am getting ready to order all the final parts this weekend to get the mach on the road. My question is what is the difference between between the MSD Blaster coil and the MSD Blaster 2 coil. I don't have the money to completely upgrade my ignition yet but I need some new parts so I may as well upgrade them while I am at it. I will be doing some Ford Racing 9mm wires on top of this. Also if you know of better coils to increase my spark let me know I am open to suggestions. I am thinking MSD though since I have heard great things about their ignition.

• Sponsors (?)

If I remember correctly the difference between the Blaster and the Blaster 2 was the height of the center connector. The Blaster 2 is higher to reduce the chance of cross voltage between the terminals. I think you'd be fine with either one. With that said, I ran an Accel yellow coil for years with no problems. In fact, it's under the hood of a 67 and still running that I know of.

As long as you are not running super high compression (over 11.5:1), un-natural aspiration, or nitrous … ANY coil that is appropriate to your current setup will work. You just need to get the fire lit and the only reason to go with a super hot coil is if you are running some type of difficult to ignite mixture. Having too much spark energy can cause a whole set of other problems to deal with.

With the above being the case bling is the only deciding factor really ;-)

If you are running an engine with the goodies listed above then further discussions are necessary as more gumption will be required. :)

Cheers,

Rufus