Which Distributor...???

65stanger

big blue fuzzy closet monster
Founding Member
Over in my engine paint thread, mention of electronic ignitions / distributors came up.

I'm definately going this route, but am not sure which to use.....
Both WORTH ( :hail2: ) and the Fordsix site both recommend the Duraspark II. Fordsix goes even further and says to ask friendly neighborhood auto parts man for a distributor or a '78 Fairmont as it is a direct drop in swap.

Which brings up the questions........:

Single or Dual Vacuum advance..(what's the difference..?)..???

and

What Module do I use...???

Thanks all................:nice:

• Sponsors (?)

funny you should ask that question at this time. i just finished an electronic ignition swap on my 66 falcon(170 six). i used a duraspark dist from a 78 fairmont, and a chrysler ignition box and msd coil. motor runs great with this combination. i think i like it better than the duraspark box or gm module i was thinking of using.

The PO of my Mustang installed a Unilite conversion in the stock distributor, Mallory coil (huge sucker) and an MSD 6A box. I can tell you from experience, don't go cheap on the distributor cap, whatever unit you install. Apparently this combo put out such a strong spark that it literally blew the top off the new distributor cap I installed the first time I put the pedal to the metal in first gear! Luckily I still had the old cap in the trunk (spare parts bin).

65stanger said:
Over in my engine paint thread, mention of electronic ignitions / distributors came up.

I'm definately going this route, but am not sure which to use.....
Both WORTH ( :hail2: ) and the Fordsix site both recommend the Duraspark II. Fordsix goes even further and says to ask friendly neighborhood auto parts man for a distributor or a '78 Fairmont as it is a direct drop in swap.

Which brings up the questions........:

Single or Dual Vacuum advance..(what's the difference..?)..???

and

What Module do I use...???

Thanks all................:nice:

Single diaphram and run the 78 fairmont module.

WORTH said:
Single diaphram and run the 78 fairmont module.
:nice:
My friendly neighborhood NAPA man told me he can get me whatever dizzy and module I need, but that I would have to pull the wiring harness from a junker............has anyone else run into this problem..???:scratch:

I would think with the number of people doing this type of swap, that there would be new wiring harnesses available...:shrug:

the wiring is pretty straight forward, do a search for duraspark upgrade, you will get a bunch for jeep conversions, but its easy enough to cross it over. figure using the tfi coil,which has awesome output, but doesnt look stock. it does use its own plug (if you need a plug i have a spare) the module you need has a blue grommet, thats all you need to know at the parts store, just have the parts guy pull a couple off the shelf, and check them out.