Which gears for my 05?

NY05GT4ME

Apr 2, 2005
Upstate NY
Soon I plan on ordering steeper gears for my 05, I just wanted to get some opinions on which I should go with...
Originally I was planning on 4.10's, but now, taking into consideration gas prices and the fact that I do a considerable amount of highway driving, i'm thinking something else.....
I'd like something that will give me better off line accel. (obviously), but maintain decent gas milage (and not slaughter my engine) cruising at 70+mph for extended periods of time...
Anyone have experience with 3.73's or 3.90's in an automatic 05? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! :nice:
Ben

• Sponsors (?)

I wouldn't go anymore than 3.73's with the automatic, that's what I plan on getting. And from what I hear around on these boards you'll love 4.10's with a manual. 3.73's aren't much of a step up from the 3.55's in the 5spd but 3.90's may be a good idea too.

I had the 3.73s installed in my automatic over a year ago and they are a good performing ratio with good highway/street performance...

I can easily burn the tires and still get good gas mileage...

I also supercharged so 3.73 is the tops, not the 4.10s...

Dave

you should be close to the low 13s right now. guess it depends on the driver too.

4.10s wont hurt your mileage much, but at over $3/gallon, every tenth counts. if you are worried about gas, dont get gears or even mod your car.

for automatic go 3.73
Manual go 4.10
I lost about 1.5 mpg with the gears(4.10)
I still get 23.5mpg on the interstate running 80mph(2750 Rpm)
Average is about 19 to 21.

The best gears for the auto are 4.10's. Once you get into 4th and 5th even the 4.10's don't help that rpm drop off that much that you experience at wot. Just for reference, 4.10's will have you at 3000rpm's at 80mph.

bigcat said:
you should be close to the low 13s right now. guess it depends on the driver too.

4.10s wont hurt your mileage much, but at over $3/gallon, every tenth counts. if you are worried about gas, dont get gears or even mod your car.

I'm going to mod my car regardless of whether its getting 20mpg or 10mpg after the mods, if I were THAT concerned I'd be driving a civic......

First concern is the best gears taking into consideration that I dont want to murder my engine on the highway, second performance, distant third gas milage....(i'm planning the 93 octane tune...screw 3.29/gal. :rolleyes: )

I have my doubts that i'm low 13's right now, i'm betting right around 14 even, considering lack of mods, my near 300lb fat @ss :bang: :nonono: (and yes, the stang is very comfortable :p ) , auto and its got all the options....
another reason is after running my friends cars (lightly modded wrx, modded 04 maxima) that both run around 14 even it was very close.....I edged out both cars.....

Who says you can't mod your car and still go for better gas mileage? I know I will be limited on what I can mod but I would think with an intake, tune, UD pullies and maybe other mods (electric water pump, carbonfiber driveshaft, lightweight flywheel, exhaust?) you can make your car faster and get more MPG...

V8JamesGT said:
Who says you can't mod your car and still go for better gas mileage? I know I will be limited on what I can mod but I would think with an intake, tune, UD pullies and maybe other mods (electric water pump, carbonfiber driveshaft, lightweight flywheel, exhaust?) you can make your car faster and get more MPG...
this is true, but the gears wont help milage at all. the point is, if you dont have $$ for gas, dont be spending the money on mods....

I have an 05 with an automatic transmission. I recently had 4.10s installed along with jlt cai and bamachips tune. It is the freakin combo from heck. Gas milage is only 1 or 2 mpg less. Freeway cruising even at 80+ is perfectly acceptable.

I'm a 45 year old white guy with 3 businesses. I've owned mercedes, acuras, toyotas...... It isn't radical, it is perfect.

bigcat said:
this is true, but the gears wont help milage at all. the point is, if you dont have $$ for gas, dont be spending the money on mods....

Just because you have the $$ for the gas and mods, doesnt mean you WANT to be filling your tank twice as much, i'm just looking for the best combo taking my amount of highway driving into consideration...Thanks again for all the input....
I'm still thinking 3.73's though...MAYBE 3.90's....

Someone mentioned I believe in another thread that crusing at 80mph with 4.10's they are turning 3k rpms.....isnt that a little high for extended periods? I guess if nothing else I could chill out and cruise at 65....:)

Anyone know what 3.73's would spin the motor at about 65MPH/100KPH in an automatic?

I'm planning on ordering up an auto but I loved the difference even 3.55's made in my last stang an 86 5Spd GT so I'd consider bumping the gears up but don't want to sacrifice too much drivability.

bigcat said:

I understand what your saying. I have enough money for gas and mods but I dont like having to fill up so much. I just hate wasting money if there are other alternatives and I would like being able to say that my V8 Mustang can get 20MPG in the city and 30MPG on the highway or better and its a V8 :nice:

Thanks for the sheet. Are those gear ratios on the left the right ones for the auto tranny? They look like what I thought they were but just checking.

3.73's look like they'd be OK. Really only a 400 RPM bump in 5th gear at 110KPH which is the highway speed here.