Which Heads???

sand1man

Founding Member
May 14, 2002
Charlotte, N C
I currently have a 67 Mustang with a Late model 302, b303 cam,Performer RPM intake MSD 6al, and MSD billet dizzy,gt-40p heads and Ford Racing shorty headers,8.8" rear with 4.30's, I have always had a problem with the headers hitting the steering box and now that I am putting in an AOD it looks as though it is going to hit the bellhousing, I am wanting to upgrade the heads anyway and this seems to be a good enough reason for me, with my current setup can someone recommend some descent heads, the block is a standard Ford Racing 302 no mods or anything and as with most things money will be an issue, would also like to reuse my roller rockers and I want a bolt on with no machine work

Thankyou

• Sponsors (?)

LMan, you will have to get use to HistoricMustang.

Anyway...as for heads...how much do you want to spend? Edelbrock RPMS will not work because they have a 202 inline intake valve and will require notching of your pistons. Edelbrock Performer Series heads will, indeed, work and provide excellent flow compared to stock.

You can pick up some aluminum GT40Y heads that have a 1.94/1.60 intake/exhaust valve that perform well and are relatively cheap.

A set of twisted wedge heads with a 202/160 valve configuration will not have an issue with piston to valve clearance because of the angle at which they are placed. I think thats the only head with a 202 intake vavle you can fit on a stock setup. You can pick a set of these up for about $950.

A set of Cobra Iron GT40 heads have a 184/154 valve set up and flow much better than your stock...E7TEs? These heads can be bought for $600 new or you can get some used ported ones for about that price also.

AFR 165s are also a great choice...but at $1200+ you may want to think twice. I have nothing against the AFRs. AFR 185s will not fit because of the 202 inline intake valve.

Get on ebay or go to corral. You can find some really great deals.

Good luck!

HistoricMustang said:
Edelbrock RPM's in my book...............even if I did outrun the "Fun Team" at Daytona..............www.historicmustang.com/daytona.html

HistoricMustang
www.historicmustang.com

I guess if you want relive the past that would be the way to go.... race days have not been very sunny for the last 3 years or so. If you can dig around through some searches, one of the MAGAZINES did an excellent multi-part head to head comparison of heads. Now AFR does not contribute nearly the amount of ad dollars as some of the competition (let's say Edelbrock for example) yet they came out ahead in the numbers in several of the models and price ranges tested. It was in a couple issues of MM&FF a couple months ago. Someone on here that is more up to date (it's 2004) should have the info handy.

Lman, the "Fun Team" is owned and operated by Edelbrock. Vic and his two daughters have some great looking GT-350's and a Split Window Vette.

Big Bucks, but they can be out run by a low dollar shift worker from Georgia.

www.historicmustang.com/daytona.html

I hate to keep bringing this stuff up but it simply will not go away.

You guys/girls are great.

HistoricMustang
www.historicmustang.com