Which is more fun handling or just speed?

• Sponsors (?)

bryce93lx said:
call maximum motorports the difference between a stang that handles and one that don't is 1800 bucks, (subframes and a coil over kit) plus one for both :SNSign:

I put a MM coil-over kit on two weeks ago. Car already had subframes. Just installed the strut tower brace today.

The coil-overs made a huge difference. I went with 375 lb/in in the front and 225 lb/in in the rear with Bilstein Sport Struts and Bilstein Sport Shocks. These are pretty firm.

With lighter spring rates and cushier struts the car would be pretty darn smooth on the road.

IMG_3835.JPG

IMG_3814.JPG

handling.............

The most difficult part of giving up the SVT Focus was knowing that, no matter how much money I send to Maximum Motorsports, the notchback will NEVER hang with what that little SVT was capable of. Being pushed back in your seat is ok, but trying to keep yourself IN the seat is more fun to me. On a related note, those center lines in the road were put there for a reason. I have no problem using my entire lane, but I won't cross the center, marked, or not. I used to drive that tractor-trailer coming over the hill in the blind curve. :eek:

pat

DSCN0244.jpg

Attachments

• DSCN0244.jpg
    DSCN0244.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 52
I prefer straight up speed b/c most racing I do is straight line, 95% of the time at the track (not much street action in my town anyways.) It's fun to play a little bit in the corners though, and I enjoy it (even though it handles and brakes like ****) but for right now I just prefer the straight line. When I get myself set with a good job and stuff I'll plan on building at all around car, but for now I'm just going for a respectable 1/4 time.

My 83 was a straight line car... drag suspension, all the good stuff... it was fun! But now I have the 90 with full Saleen Racecraft Suspension, double adjustable control arms, adjustable lowers, spherical rod ends, spherical axle bushings, adjustable rear sway bar... This thing handles like nothing I've ever driven. It's amazing. Seeing both sides of this, I def prefer handling. It's much more fun going around the turns then just hitting the gas and going straight.

That said, I was merging on the interstate yesterday morning at about 07:30 when I saw in my rear view a crotch rocket... I sped up... This turn is a 80ish degree turn banked onto the interstate... I got to about 80 mph entering, and 95 exiting... The crotch rocket tried to keep up, but he couldn't. He had it fully laid on it's side with his knee down... when we came out of the turn I had about 10 cars on him... THen he blew past me once we got on the interstate lol. But he looked over and gave the thumbs up... It was very cool. :nice: Handling > Straight line. My car is NOT fast in a straight line... but around the turns... :D

+1 for Corner carver...After driving oldschool vw's with suspension work for the past 4 years im a corner person....2 of my old vw's were all about power to weight ratio and turns being they are small cars and light and extremley nimble...very fun to toss into turns and very predictable to control, also i miss having my foot to the floor through turns. we all know you cant do that in a mustang (at least not without alot of money into the suspension) I am very impressed with my 85 GT's handling considering it has the original suspension....for now lol.
Heres a pic of my old 93' VW Fox
346%3B%3A35%3C6%7Ffp338%3Enu%3D3246%3E%3B56%3E375%3EWSNRCG%3D32334%3A%3C%3A5%3B69%3Cnu0mrj

Attachments

• 346%3B%3A35%3C6%7Ffp338%3Enu%3D3246%3E%3B56%3E375%3EWSNRCG%3D32334%3A%3C%3A5%3B69%3Cnu0mrj
    346%3B%3A35%3C6%7Ffp338%3Enu%3D3246%3E%3B56%3E375%3EWSNRCG%3D32334%3A%3C%3A5%3B69%3Cnu0mrj
    60.4 KB · Views: 69