>>>WHICH MUSTANG SHOULD I GET??????

.:.SuShIeAtEr.:

Apr 22, 2004
Whats goin on everyone. My second post ever. Support our troops! :flag:

My question is: What are the advantages of a 5.0 over a 4.6 and I'd like some advice into which stang I should get. I want a 94-00 mustang GT. And another thing: How do you do a good burnout and/or donut in an automatic?

Thanks alot to all replies!! :D

• Sponsors (?)

The parts are cheaper for a 5.0, and they are theoretically easier to work on. Other than that, the differences are only preferencial. The 4.6's have many advantages as well. If you think you want the 5.0, and you like the '94-'00 body, then you want a '94-'95.
You want to do a burnout with an AOD? Rev it up in neutral and drop it in first while they are up there. doughnut? Same deal, with the wheel cranked all the way over before you start. A little sand or water on the tarmack doesn't hurt. Do this for a while, and you should have some great fun before your tranny spits it's guts. they don't call them "slushbox" for nothing.

Depends what you want to do with it. Do you plan to leave it basically stock, or do you plan to mod the daylights out of it? Modding a 5.0 is much easier and typically cheaper. Both engines can make some incredible power, but the 4.6 will give you better gas mileage if that's a concern (for most of us it's not a major consideration). Then you just pick the style you like best. Remember that in '99, the stang got a boost of testosterone. If it were me and I could swing it, I'd be looking for the '99 and up for the extra juice, and I like the body better. However, you'll get a cheaper car going older, and they can always be found pre-modded that could net you a car with equal or better juice. Ain't it fun?!?! :lol:

Automatic burnouts are as easy as holding the brake just enough and giving it the right amount of gas. This is called "Brake Torqueing". You can stay in one spot as long as you have sufficent gas, tires, ect.

But, not good for your car though. Well, no burnout really is.

I'll throw in my 2 cents here. In my opinion, there's nothing like the sound of a 5.0 :nice:. As others have said, you can get it for cheaper, parts are cheaper, it's easier to work on, responds well to basic mods, etc. However, I've come to realize that the 4V DOHC V8 is the future, and I would love to have that engine :worship:. Rather than looking at a 1999-2000 Mustang GT, try getting a 1996-1998 Cobra. You'd get almost the same exact engine in a 1996 Cobra that you'd get in a 2003-2004 Mach I :drool: Hey, even Formula 1 cars have the 4V DOHC engines, they just have 2 more cylinders.

I was in the same position as you. I went with the 5.0 mainly because I was able to get a 7-up 'vert for only 2300 bucks. The guy who owned before me didn't know a thing about cars and it shows with every bolt I take out (or don't have to because he didn't put back in). But 5.0s are cheaper to get faster, plus I like the body style more. MY brother has a 90 GT that he has tricked out nicely, almost everything in it is new, mainly everything except the engine. My brother-in-law has a 97 GT. He's spent way more than my brother for about the same performance. I'd go 5.0

For burnouts on an auto; i'd reccomend having either a) insane ammounts of power so that whenever you punch it it breaks loose or b) power braking (aka: brake torqueing). I've done that on our F-350 and it works like a champ. All you do is put one foot on each pedal, and just keep enough pressure on the brakes to keep the car in one spot, and keep the throttle foot to the floor. The problems of this are though that it heats up your back brakes like none other, and just adds a lot of extra stress on the entire system, but i'd reccomend it over dropping it into gear from neutral, that just sounds brutal (i've never tried it though so i could be mistaken). But the best advice i could give would just be to get a manual :nice: it's the only way to fly! (IMO, there's others who are all for the autos; to each their own)

-Bart

.:.SuShIeAtEr.:, you in the military? I'm not but jw. To all those who are, give 'em hell! :flag:

What I suggested has essentially the same effect on the entire car as doing a burnout with a stick car does. The clutch is simply a constant neutral pedal. You give it revs with the clutch in, let the clutch out, make noise and burn rubber. It's no different, if anything it's easier on it than with a stick because an automatic has a torque converter to take take some of the edge off. However, it requires more power to make it work with an automatic, because they absorb so much. On that line, much more power is also needed to do a brake stand (brake torquing?) than simply revving it up and dropping it in gear, and the crank thrust and mainshaft torque it actuates is the same. In the end, the drivetrain will be just as whipped either way- but one way burns up rear brakes. Just so it doesn't seem like I'm throwing rocks at TwoToneTerror here, he had the best suggestion of all: power. The truth is, if you had enough horsepower you wouldn't have had to ask how. Since you did, that means you don't- and that means that any method you use is going to beat the snot out of your car. Start buying bolt ons dude... and welcome to the family.

Take a close look at both styles and see what you like best. To do burn outs with an auto, just press the gas and if that doesn't work - buy some better gears :)

Damn...all i can say is.....Your an Animal!!! Hood scoop looks real cool. Had an 82 GT 5.0 that i modified the scoop on. Then i realized that the air flow over the hood probably doesn't go IN the scoop, but over it cuz it sits so low. But Hey....looks flippin cool!!! :spot:

well i have both 99 4.6 and 91 5.0 love em both i mean a mustang is a mustang the only way to really tell is to drive it get the feel of the car and just learn ot love it. i mean they are bad ass cars you really couldnt go wrong the only thing i would recomend is that if you get a 4.6 go with the 99 and up the reason i say that i because they changed the rear end in some the 4.6 but whatever you decide is all up to you 5.0 are cheaper and could find parts alot easier but of coarse their is no better feeling then knowing you have a new car so choose wisely make sure you decide well and be ready to rock out with your **** out