Which Suspension To Choose ?

Discussion in '2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk-' started by Jaret, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Jaret

Jaret New Member

Hey guys, I am looking at doing suspension this winter, and this is what I am looking at;

Either the Eibach or KW coil over kit

The Ford Racing Adjustable handling pack

Or the Airlift suspension kit - A little worried about weight on this one.

I want to keep the car as daily driver, with occasional to moderate track use, I want to do both street courses and Drag racing so I don't really want to limit the cars handling to one or the other, I would like to set it up to be optimum all around.

2. TheShabz

TheShabz Member

I spoke with Van over at Revan Racing about this very issue. To get his qualifications out of the way, he's the guy with the 220.8mph Shelby (fastest recorded mustang). A kit he sells quite often is (all BMR):
    UCA
    UCA mount
    LCAs
    LCA relocation brackets
    lowering springs
    panhard bar
    panhard bar rod

He said that setup gave him a full second at Sebring while not sacrificing drivability in a DD situation by keeping the stock shocks/struts. These can be modified, of course, as well as adding in swaybars but I think it's a rather solid "stage 1" setup to really keep your back-end planted. While I haven't put them on yet but the above will be my next round of mods.

Husky44 likes this.
  3. Sharad

Sharad ALWAYS choose the V over the P!!! Wait... what? Site Sponsor

Showcase:
    Whichever dampeners you choose, go with something adjustable. (so you can use for street or strip)

And definitely don't forget the control arms and panhard bar. They improve traction by minimizing the slop in the suspension.

4. Husky44

Husky44 Active Member

Showcase:
    Albums:
    Another plug for Van. This kit is waiting for me in the lower 48 (didn't want to pay AK shipping, when I'm moving at end of month) so although I can't personally endorse it, it is the setup of choice for the new GT500s by a wide margin, and has not had a single bad review that I have seen.

5. TheShabz

TheShabz Member

Husky, we're you referring to the setup he gave me or his full Stage 1 kit with the sway bars?

6. Husky44

Husky44 Active Member

Showcase:
    Albums:
    Same one you have. I am keeping the factory sway bars. Not sure if they're different from your stock ones or not, but almost no difference between mine and any aftermarket bars. Not worth switching bars.

7. Noobz347

Noobz347 Stangnet Facilities Maint Tech... Er... Janitor Admin Dude

Showcase:
    Albums:
    :worthlesb - pics + LINKS!

8. Husky44

Husky44 Active Member

Showcase:
    Albums:
    Pics have to wait a while, from me anyway. Parts are in MO, car and I are in AK until end of the month.

Link: revanracing.com

9. tjsteeda

tjsteeda Premium Sponsor Steeda Staff

10. mbuckcoyote

mbuckcoyote Member

I'd like to point out that your 'test' car had the Brembo package on it and consequently, also already had a suspension upgrade over stock.

Ex-owner of an '11 GT premium with the Brembo pac. :cool:

11. jsimmonstx

jsimmonstx New Member

You don't have to get everything from the same vendor. It ain't like the parts aren't compatible. My suspension is Eibach, Max Motorsports, Steeda, Koni, SR-Perf, FRPP, Whiteline, and Fays.

Since springs and shocks are a given...

For drag strip, LCA relocation brackets and UCA.

For cornering, swaybars, bumpsteer kit, watts link, and front LCA. (I think the relocation brackets also help here on a lowered car).

Be careful of the mods though - if you ever autocross, you could find yourself in SM class competing against much lighter and powerful cars.

12. Husky44

Husky44 Active Member

Showcase:
    Albums:
    I'm going to disagree a little. While they are not necessarily incompatible, there is an advantage to getting components that were designed to work together. Your suspension is a system, not just a collection of individual parts. While your solution might work, and your statement "you don't have to get everything from the same vendor is factually correct, there are advantages to doing so.

13. Jsimmons

Jsimmons New Member

I didn't say there was no advantage, but said advantage certainly isn't tangible. I've observed that when you buy a "system", it's either not enough of what you want, or it's too much, and once you stray from the "system" to get what you actually want, it has no benefits at all other than merely being a "collection of parts", and in the end, you've spent more money to replace parts of the system that did not meet your needs.

When you get right down to it, most parts are *the same*, and these include panhard bars, front strut braces, front LCAs, bump steer kits, rear LCAs, LCA relocation brackets, UCAs. The only things that offer and real difference (between parts offered by various manufacturers) are shocks, springs, and sway bars. The really funny part is that the various "manufacturers" merely offer re-branded parts made by one central source.

In the end, knowing how to setup your car for its desired use is INVALUABLE when shopping for parts to make it happen.

My statement was merely a cautionary one to allow the OP to evaluate other ways to get where he wants to go, and that it will probably cost him less money. That being said, getting the least expensive part isn't always the best way to go about doing things.

14. mbuckcoyote

mbuckcoyote Member

" Components that were designed to work together" is a great way at getting folks to buy all their parts from one vendor. Many of the parts we use to improve our suspensions are designed to lock in the body to the suspension so they're tied in or work as one. The real work is going to come from your selection of struts/springs and tires. This is how I understand my goal anyway. I'm not going to get their by just using a system designed to work together put together by one vendor.