Whining noise when pressing the brakes hard

danny04GT

Jun 10, 2004
Phoenix
Today I noticed that if i press on the brake hard, the car makes a strange whining noise. At first I thought the noise was my brakes squeaking, but I pressed the brakes in while I was idleing in neutral and the car makes the same sound. Also If I step on the brake hard, RPM's drop to about 6-700 until I let off the brake, I don't think thats normal either. Any ideas on what the noise might be? Fluid is fine by the way.

• Sponsors (?)

the noise sounds like it would be the power steering pump

the 'hydro-boost' system uses the p/s pump to provide vacuum assist to the brake system. when you hit the brakes you lose all the vacuum so the p/s pump has to provide more

if you can hear it sitting in traffic with the a/c and radio on you probably have a problem. take it to ford if it's under warranty

Stang2003GT said:
Mine does it too, from day one.

Really? I wasn't sure about the RPM's dropping, but the noise was never as noticable today. Regular breaking is fine, but if I step on the brake pedal real hard, I can definitely hear the noise over the radio and exhaust noise.

The fluids are fine. But I guess thats what the noise sounds like, an old steering pump. You ever ride in an old bucket and the steering pump makes a really loud whining sound when you make a tight turn. Now here is the trickey part, I'm at like 34,900 miles. My wife is planning on driving the car to San Diego on Monday. By the time she gets back, my warranty will be expired. What do you guys think, normal "Mustang" noise that just got a little louder, or is it something I need to take the car into the dealership for?