who had the fastest 1/4 mile time with auto stock in here

• Sponsors (?)

st5150 said:
14.9-15.5 seems to be the range at Sacramento Raceway. Probably best to leave off idle, or a hair above idle

I too found it best in MY car to leave off idle. I need a bit of tire spin to get keep the rpms up during the first 60 ft.

I've got a 3,000 stall coming from Edge Racing.... can't wait to see if that helps. :D

st5150 said:
14.9-15.5 seems to be the range at Sacramento Raceway. Probably best to leave off idle, or a hair above idle

See it was the opposite for me. When I left at idle my car was running somewhere like 15.6 when it was stock. Started trying to launch at higher RPM's and even though there was a lot more tire spin I was still able to improve to 15.2 launching around 2000-2200 rpms.

You would need to compare your 60fts to see if was actually the launch or the top end that made the difference, but yeah it seems we are complete opposites. Sounds like to me you your stock stall is setup differently.

Mine will NOT stall up to 2,000 ever. The tires will start spinning first.

If I stalled up to the 1,200 - 1,400 or whatever it does, been so long since I've tried it I can't remember exactly, my car would launch and immediately bog - but I have a theory about this too. I've never raced at the track without being set up for juice. IE - Rich as hell and no timing.

Just guessing, but this could be the reason??? :shrug:

Yeah even now my car runs 14.4's and I always launch at around 2000 or a little above. And even though the tires are spinning (like Im doing a brake stand at the line) I still get alot better 60's than if I mearly launch off idle. My best 60' ever was a 2.089 and that was using this technique. I was happy with that 60' considering my limited mods.

Oh and the 14.4 was before the ported lower and the 80mm pro m. Waiting to get my knocking prob fixed before going back and trying to improve on those times. :bang:

mystang94gt said:
Well he did have a lead foot! LOL Too bad I cant ask him.

Seance. :shrug: :)

The old guy that had my car before apparently put some 3.55 gears in. Why anyone would do that from 3.27, I don't know. I still wonder if he also swapped out the converter for one out of a newer AODE/4R70W. The trans shop said it was factory but I'm sure they didn't look to see if it came from a later year. I got to wondering after I found out that they stall higher than the early ones. I seem to get more stall out of mine than others report, so :shrug: .

Mrgreen94gt said:
I still wonder if he also swapped out the converter for one out of a newer AODE/4R70W. The trans shop said it was factory but I'm sure they didn't look to see if it came from a later year. I got to wondering after I found out that they stall higher than the early ones. I seem to get more stall out of mine than others report, so :shrug: .

Wonder no more... unless they put an adapter plate or redrilled the flywheel, it won't fit. That was bad stall #3 for me. They sent me a 4.6L stall. Went to bolt it up and the bolt pattern is like a 1/4 in diameter narrower. So the bolts were like an 1/8 off. :bang: The diameter and teeth match up. Just not the bolt holes. The 4.6Ls use a weighted/balanced flywheel while ours is not. Or vice versa... can't remember. I couldn't try to find a different flywheel locally to get my car ready for the track the next day. :notnice:

gcomfx.com said:
Wonder no more... unless they put an adapter plate or redrilled the flywheel, it won't fit. That was bad stall #3 for me. They sent me a 4.6L stall. Went to bolt it up and the bolt pattern is like a 1/4 in diameter narrower. So the bolts were like an 1/8 off. :bang: The diameter and teeth match up. Just not the bolt holes. The 4.6Ls use a weighted/balanced flywheel while ours is not. Or vice versa... can't remember. I couldn't try to find a different flywheel locally to get my car ready for the track the next day. :notnice:

That eliminates Mustang converters, but not Explorer ones. They still had 5.0's pretty late. Unless their flywheel was different too. :shrug:

Beats me... all I know is it didn't matter at the time... I was too pissed off to care. I'm one of those guys who gets a little nervous and takes some time to change the oil, pulling the tranny for the third fuaking time over bad stalls was really starting to get to me. :bang:

mystang94gt said:
Nope Mine was 15.2 at 91 So looks like Im still the fastest! :D LOL. DId you run that stock? If so your the only other one I've seen. Everyone else with an auto seems to be just a bit slower.

in my defense, my car would probably be as fast or faster than yours when it was stock, but since it's a convertible and yours is a coupe, we will never know :shrug:

Yup I completely agree. Seems like you had a very good time for a vert. But I think its time for me to stop clinging to the past. LOL. Just liked being the fastest for once. :D

What are you running now with your current mods? My last was 14.4 at 96 without the ported lower or the 80mm MAF. Seems like were on a similar path with our mods at this point.