Who would win? 2006 Mustang GT or 2004 Mustang GT?

not even close

the 05 will DESTROY any 04 down 2 valve that is not a pure drag car with tons of mods and lightening

a full bolt on 04 will make around 270-275 at the wheels or just about what a STOCK 05 makes.

and i mean full lengths elbow x pipe cat back underdrives throttle body cold air elbow etc..everything you can do without going into the engine will get your 04 up to abotu what a STOCK 05 makes

ported heads and cams with all of the above on a 04 will put it in the range of a 05 with just a old air intake a cat back and underdrives.

im not trying to hype the 05 its just simple truth you have to go to ported heads and cams if you want 300 rwhp from a 2 valve.

you should compare the 05 to a mach 1 more thena 2 valve for power out put stock for stock they are prety closely matched

• Sponsors (?)

After a few weekends at the track with the new Mustang I am confident I would of smoked this guy. 90% of the 4.6 mustangs here run low-mid 14's with basic bolt ons. (no superchargers though) Im averaging 13.6-13.7 at 101 mpg and Im very impressed. The looks on their faces when they realized it was an auto and bought two weeks ago was in utter disbelief. Dont know if its bad driving or these is average times for a 99-2004 bolt on car. I cant believe how easy it would be to make this thing go 12's with basic bolts on. Its amazing. Ford finally almost everything right with this new mustang and its well worth every penny Im paying for it.

hmm

mattkimsey said:
I'd say a 13.2 is about as rare as a 99-04 running 13.5 in stock trim.

i have never seen a stone tock 99-04 that runs that and i doubt either have you

while 05's actualy do run these times on sticky tracks

its all in track prep and sixty foot time i have yet to see a 05 that didnt have the POWER to run these times stone stock

i have personaly seen 3 do 13.30s at the local track or better
i have seen 3 magazine tests that managed 13.3 or better as well

I would say a 13.2x mustang is far more comon then a 12.9x second stock ls-1

based on the numbers of each i have seen

in the mustang its simply and purely a case of a good driver seeing as how i have not seen a single test where they failed to pull 102 mph+ out of a stock 05-06 and at 102 its just a question of driver

while in the ls-1 you need a factory freek car to do it as i have seen very very few ls-1 camaros that run in the 106+ range stone stock

1fastz said:
i have never seen a stone tock 99-04 that runs that and i doubt either have you

while 05's actualy do run these times on sticky tracks

its all in track prep and sixty foot time i have yet to see a 05 that didnt have the POWER to run these times stone stock

i have personaly seen 3 do 13.30s at the local track or better
i have seen 3 magazine tests that managed 13.3 or better as well

I would say a 13.2x mustang is far more comon then a 12.9x second stock ls-1

based on the numbers of each i have seen

in the mustang its simply and purely a case of a good driver seeing as how i have not seen a single test where they failed to pull 102 mph+ out of a stock 05-06 and at 102 its just a question of driver

while in the ls-1 you need a factory freek car to do it as i have seen very very few ls-1 camaros that run in the 106+ range stone stock
how did the fbody get brought into this? I said this
I'd say a 13.2 is about as rare as a 99-04 running 13.5 in stock trim.
12-24-05 06:10 PM
The 99-04 is about ~3250 lbs compared to ~3450lbs for the 05+. The 05+ has a 40hp advantage, but it weighs 200lbs more. Thus, it seems logical that a '06 would run 2-4 tenths better when both cars are driven to their maximum potential.:)

I havnt ran into any yet, but from what I have seen..and felt (drove one) they dont run very good :shrug:. But compared to a stock 04 GT they are ALOT faster. stock 2vs are slow IMHO.
And I dont doubt many of you have destroyed them..MOST 2V GTs are SLOW...because when they say "exhaust" they mean welded in flows (+1hp) and "intake" means a MAC CAI (-HP in some cases haha). I have destroyed a few out on the highway when I was just boltons...I mean even pulling away from a M5 99+GT after I hit 5th @ 120 ish. Another auto with some magnaflows, like he just wailed on the breaks.

But im not worried about any 05+s as of right now, I have about 300#s on them....and am making about 300RWHP now. It would take a good 330+ RWHP 05/mach to beat me on the highway....from a stop I dont know. The car doesnt hook back up til 60MPH @ 6K in 2nd gear if you nail it anywhere in 1st LOL. And its VERY rare to find a N/A 330RWHP 3 or 4 valve around here. That seems about the limit with stock cams, and most dont do cams in a 4V(like $1200). If they beat me, I say they desirve it...they probably have more money in their car. (not trying to be cocky lol)

hotmustang331 said:
I havnt ran into any yet, but from what I have seen..and felt (drove one) they dont run very good :shrug:. But compared to a stock 04 GT they are ALOT faster. stock 2vs are slow IMHO.
And I dont doubt many of you have destroyed them..MOST 2V GTs are SLOW...because when they say "exhaust" they mean welded in flows (+1hp) and "intake" means a MAC CAI (-HP in some cases haha). I have destroyed a few out on the highway when I was just boltons...I mean even pulling away from a M5 99+GT after I hit 5th @ 120 ish. Another auto with some magnaflows, like he just wailed on the breaks.

But im not worried about any 05+s as of right now, I have about 300#s on them....and am making about 300RWHP now. It would take a good 330+ RWHP 05/mach to beat me on the highway....from a stop I dont know. The car doesnt hook back up til 60MPH @ 6K in 2nd gear if you nail it anywhere in 1st LOL. And its VERY rare to find a N/A 330RWHP 3 or 4 valve around here. That seems about the limit with stock cams, and most dont do cams in a 4V(like $1200). If they beat me, I say they desirve it...they probably have more money in their car. (not trying to be cocky lol)

I agree that the stock 05's are no match for your car. I say the same thing about my 5.0, it will smoke my 06 and most 4.6's. But my stock aod 5.0 ran only mid 15's, and Im busting out mid 13s in the auto 06. I believe these new mustangs are the best yet as far as coming from the factory, and Im impressed with its capabilites and its potential. It has a better powerband then the previous generation and its handling abilities are a major improvement. And Ford made the auto version as fast as the manual. I know these things will respond very well to basic bolt ons. The aftermarket support for these cars exploded as soon as it was released. Cant wait to see how the GT500 does because Dodge is putting out some heavy hitters with its SRT8 line. They claim their SRT8 Jeep can do mid 13's!!!

mattkimsey said:
how did the fbody get brought into this? I said this The 99-04 is about ~3250 lbs compared to ~3450lbs for the 05+. The 05+ has a 40hp advantage, but it weighs 200lbs more. Thus, it seems logical that a '06 would run 2-4 tenths better when both cars are driven to their maximum potential.:)
its got more then that.
the 05 is actualy makeing the 300 horses it was advertised with
most dyno in the 270 plus rwhp range while most 99-04 dyno in the 230 rwhp range

you can nto tell jack about the 05 by riding in one they FEEL like a high 14 second car thanks to the torque mangament but they run far far better then they feel.

For what its worth,when my car was bone stock,I raced a stock a/t 02 gt from a dig and roll about 10 times. Every time I put the hutin on that car,even when he had a few car length head starts. You can claim that 99-04's are just as fast with so and so bolt ons,you put those bolt ons on an 05/06 and its no longer a contest.

I drove a '02 GT 5 spd. for 3 years with the following mods:

3.73's, O/R H-pipe, Flows, Steeda Pulleys, C&L MAF, C&L Plenum, 75MM TB, Dyno tuned Diablo chip

The '02 made 267RWHP and 309RWTQ. I made 6 passes on it and ran a best of 13.47 @ 102.9 on stock tires with a 2.01 60' before the C&L Plenum and TB were added.

I would say that it would have been a close race between my modded '02 and my stock '06 GT. As my '06 sits now it would absolutely destroy my old '02.

Dan02gt said:
I drove a '02 GT 5 spd. for 3 years with the following mods:

3.73's, O/R H-pipe, Flows, Steeda Pulleys, C&L MAF, C&L Plenum, 75MM TB, Dyno tuned Diablo chip

The '02 made 267RWHP and 309RWTQ. I made 6 passes on it and ran a best of 13.47 @ 102.9 on stock tires with a 2.01 60' before the C&L Plenum and TB were added.

I would say that it would have been a close race between my modded '02 and my stock '06 GT. As my '06 sits now it would absolutely destroy my old '02.

This is right back on subject, Thanks!!! All the 99-04's I have seen here all have some type of bolt on yet still most cant hang with a stock 05/06. If I were to throw on the same mods onto my car, just as you stated, it will destroy them. I ran my times bone stock with an auto with less then 1000 miles on it. I would like to see a stock 99-04 GT auto or even a manual hang with these new Mustangs, its not going to happen.