Why different factory mufflers for manual and auto trany 5.0s

phoneman91

Founding Member
Apr 15, 2001
Aurora,Colorado
I noticed on my 2011 Mustang GT that there is a label on the muffler inlet pipe stating "MAN" and that the Ford parts listing shows a listing for a 2011 GT a "man" and an "auto" muffler.

Why would there be one muffler for a manual transmission Mustang GT and another muffler for an automatic transmission equipped Mustang GT? Do one of these types have a different or louder exhaust sound or/and is the "auto" one "tuned" somehow for the special automatic equipped 3.15 axle?

Has anyone noticed a difference in exhaust sound between a manual equipped 5.0 and an automatic equipped 5.0? Is there an actual physical difference in size or chambering of these two types of factory mufflers?

Is anything else in the factory exhaust different between a manual and automatic transmission equipped 2011 GT Mustang?

• Sponsors (?)

Not sure why there would be a difference. I'm sure there's no difference in sound, maybe in build...but I can't imagine why.

The stock exhaust is waaay too quiet. Replace them as soon as you can, and you'll be fine.