Why does my Engine bog so bad?

1993 2.3LX

Apr 27, 2004
North Florida
I have a NA 2.3 and I cant get it to rev fast up to 3000RPM. After about 3000 it picks up revs much faster and hits redline very quick. I cant figure out what the problem is :bang: . Any suggestions on what may be happening would be helpful!

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah I had a tranny leak into my vaccum lines about a year ago, modulator valve inside tranny or somethine i dont remember. I'm fully intendng to gut my cat as well but am looking for a ranger header first so i can do both at the same time. Thats when I plan on doing the CAI bit as well no point doing one litttle thing at a time with this motor if I want to notice results.

Man I been trying to get my hands on a header and no luck! ahhh . Today I'm replacing the manifold gasket due to the back pressure from the plugged cat. I wish I had a header to replace the manifold, but at least the bolts will be freed up that it won't be too hard to replace when I do get a header. Good luck :D

1993 2.3LX said:
I have a 93. Its wierd...Its almost like severe turbo lag on a NA car!

Hey i4power I see you are from Eglin. I used to live about an hour from there.
First of all, I think you need some sway bars by looking at your avatar. :rlaugh:
As for the bogging problem, the cam timing may be off by a tooth. That could give you awsome top end (which the 2.3 absolutly doens't have!) and horrible bottom end power.

I have an A4ld, with a cam, gutted upper, and several other things which should kill takeoff, but it still isn't to bad. When I was stock, it ALWAYS felt strongest immidiatly from a stop, and that should occur because torque converter gives you nearly a factor of 2 multiplication of torque at that speed. Time a 0-30mph. If you can't beat 5 seconds, then something is seriously wrong.
Cam timing can still jump around, even if you havn't messed with it.

Even when I take off from a normal street start at about 2800rpm it feels like more power kicks in. I will time a 0-30 this afternoon and see. It's getting about time to service my car anyway so I will check the timing.

Did those GT Sway bars level out the cornering a lot?