Why dont people run higher gears?

This is what I've found out with my 4.56s on a stock GT.

1. Its perfectly fine on the street if you know how to drive and not mash the pedal.

2. The highway is not your friend, nor is it your enemy. I still get around 22mpg

3. Highway racing is retarded and you shouldnt be doing it anyways. With this gears you'll loss to just about anything powerful in a 70 mph roll. 100 mph roll is a different story, but you'd be retarded

4. If you raise the rev limiter to 6400 and run a 28 inch slick you bounce out the rev limiter as you cross the trap.

5. Depending on the area you live in you might see a slight increase in gas mileage. Most of my area has a speed limit of 15-20 mph, which I can cruise comfortable in 5th gear.

I dont see why everyone is afraid of gears.

• Sponsors (?)

artificial HP said:
This is what I've found out with my 4.56s on a stock GT.

1. Its perfectly fine on the street if you know how to drive and not mash the pedal.

2. The highway is not your friend, nor is it your enemy. I still get around 22mpg

3. Highway racing is retarded and you shouldnt be doing it anyways. With this gears you'll loss to just about anything powerful in a 70 mph roll. 100 mph roll is a different story, but you'd be retarded

4. If you raise the rev limiter to 6400 and run a 28 inch slick you bounce out the rev limiter as you cross the trap.

5. Depending on the area you live in you might see a slight increase in gas mileage. Most of my area has a speed limit of 15-20 mph, which I can cruise comfortable in 5th gear.

I dont see why everyone is afraid of gears.
:stupid: Do you really run 4.56 gears ? Only reason I didn't run any is I was afraid of running out of gear with a 26in slick in the traps. Thats why I run 4.30's instead.

UDTBadkarma said:
STREETABLE..yes. Practical? That depends, on the highway they are almost useless. 4.30s would be even worse.
Useless? Hardly - you can easily pass with 4.10s (or 4.30s) without shifting.
UDTBadkarma said:
Try racing on the highway, you wont last past 100mph.
Idiots with a death wish race on the highway. It's very stupid, very dangerous and very illegal.
UDTBadkarma said:
Not to mention half the time you might be cruising at like 80 at a unecessarily high RPM.
80MPH is around 2750 RPMs with 4.10s. I could cruise there all day.

Dark Knight GT said:
:stupid: Do you really run 4.56 gears ? Only reason I didn't run any is I was afraid of running out of gear with a 26in slick in the traps. Thats why I run 4.30's instead.

Yeah I did a complete rear end swap with a guy selling his cobra. We both thought that the 4.56s would be way too much but once the swap was done we were both surprised.

In the 1/4 you'll run out of gear on 26 in slicks. You need 28 in slicks and a slight bump in the rev limiter to make it through. I might be going down to 4.30s when I add the n2o, probably try a pass with the 4.56s first to see if they're too much.

beaterstanger said:
A new 05 GT with 4.55 gears and slicks ran real low 12's. People say that 4.10's and higher are "not streetable". WTF??? Just for comparrison the final drive ratio on a honda civic is 4.31. I used to have a civic and I guess it feels wierd to not shift so often, just the opposite of what i'm reading here. Stock gearing has a top speed of like 160 mph, but who needs it. Your a f**king idiot if you go any faster than 125.

What are the transmission gear ratios in the Civic? You have to consider that as well. The problem with the "streetability" as I see it is that you will consistantly be running your engine at a higher rpm. This will result in poor gas mileage and additional stress on your engine.

Personally, I just don't like the feeling of winding out the engine when I'm not aggressively accelerating (yes, I know its only a few hundred more rpm's) but it's really just a personal preference.

beaterstanger said:
Sorry, I got kinda bitter that last part. If I get gears I am gonna get 4.30's because its like people say a civic is real good at acceleration. It's all because of the gears. 4.30 gears in a mustang is a lot like a civic with 300 horsepower. :rlaugh:

I hope youre joking that a civic is real good at acceleration. I have yet to see one even accelerate quickly halfway decently.....