Will I have problems if I remove quad shocks?

95tealGT

Jan 5, 2003
Altoona, PA
I'm getting a whole bunch of suspension work done today, and I told my mechanic that if the quad shocks are too much of a pain because of my wide tires he can either flip them, take off the plastic covering, or remove them. Will have problems if I do remove them? They're there to prevent wheel hop, correct?

• Sponsors (?)

So the rear shocks are not needed? In that case I should have no problems running a 17x10.5 with a 315/35? Say you had eibach drag springs and beefed upper and lower Ca's, would removing the shocks effect launching negatively?

zenboy99 said:
The rear shocks are needed but the quad shocks can go if you have aftermarket LCA's. The quad shock runs horizontal from the chassis to the axle. Just thought I would clarify that.

Yep, I am an idiot. Thanks for clarifying that. Still learning this damn car. Sooooo different from what I am used too. :bang: .

95tealGT said:
I'm getting H&R Supersport springs and Tokico Illumina 5-way adj struts/shocks, they're also throwing in some poly spring bushings. I have 17x10.5 rims in the back with 315/35/17 tires.

What offset and backspace are on those wheels?

I am mounting 315/35/17 sumitomos on deep dish billet rim 17X10.5 tommarro...and i flipped my quads but it sure looks like its going to still hit it my quad or my exhaust...are you haveing any problems since you removed the quads...if not, i think i will just remove them....any help would be appreciated..thanks in advance!

Hi,
Just put P325/50/R15, BFG Drag Radials on on the back of mine, with Prostar rims. Had to take the Quad shocks off and hammer the wheel wells in some along with rolling of the wheel well lips.. Haven't had any problems yet.

Steve