Will our cars be a "collector car" anytime down the road?

Sadly most cars are a pointless investment. They loose value the moment you drive them off the lot and continue to year after year. Maybe someday, somewhere, someone would consider a Mustang valuable and pay an arm or a leg to get one, but with all the crap going on now with gas and emession :notnice: I wouldnt be suprised if those of us with gas cars in the way future get fined for having such vehicles. Stupid government :D.
Cars are basically for our enjoyment and to get from A to B... quickly :D. Preferably A to B is a straight line, but to each his own. I plan on dropping more in my 5.0 than I would EVER get back out of it. I just want to do it so I can enjoy the car, and have something that MAY be worth something to pass to my kid(s).

• Sponsors (?)

I dont think any GT will be worth anything. Unless its a saleen s281E or limited edition roush. Bullits, mach 1s, and cobras will have some value. But most wont be stock by then. 35th anny. and 100th any. probly wont be worth any more then a regular GT. Ford is making some type of "limited edition" car every year now. So if you had to chose between a mach 1 and a 100th anny. which would you chose?

jrc_03_gt said:
10 or 20 years from now they might not even be making v8's anymore. The way things are going with electric cars and cars that run on hydrogen. If resources become scarce all of our cars could be desireable. Then again it may cost an arm and a leg to fuel them. Who knows?

Holy crap we won't even be able to sell them they will be in measuems. They will be like V8 what is that??

04DarkShadowGT said:
well haveing a blown mustang all tricked out will be a real trick to keep running well for 20+ years. i would say a GT now is like an old 65-66 coupe 289. you can get those for under 10 grand easy. they really wont be worth much. definatly not what you paid for it.

but you have to remember those mustangs were only 3500-4000 when they were origionally sold new from the factory. in 40 years you should be able to get at least what you paided to it...

Yeah I think that they will be however it'll obviously depend on the condition and the mileage of the the car. The SVT models, the Bullitts and the Mach 1's will be the most valuable. Also, the 98 Canary Yellow Cobras will be valuable as well for that was the only year you could get a Cobra in canary yellow in a 94-98 bodystyle. The 96 cobra convertibles will be worth a lot too. There were about 2510 made.

Mach 1

The 03, 04 Mach1 in my opinion will be a car that will rocket in value in 20-25 years. the car is rare now. GT's on the other hand alredy are droping in price I payed 24k for my gt in aug 01 you can find a 03 mach1 with under 1k for like 21k the market for mustangs is weird now with the new style coming out i saw a brand new 04 gt at oasis ford in old bridge for 19k moral of the story i guess its a great time to buy a stang! :spot:

2k2fourpointsix said:
New mustang will never have the value of a classic from the 60's and 70's for the simple reason that they make to many of them.

Uh...

1964.5 121,538 <---Short production year
1965 559,451
1966 607,568
1967 474,121
1968 317,404

....and then we skip a few years

The following are taken from the YMR page
2000 218,525
2001 167995 (includes Mustangs, Bullits, and Cobras)
2002 142404
2003 176262 (includes Mustangs, Cobras, Mach Is)

Somehow, I'm not following the logic. :shrug:

nickthegenius said:
Uh...

1964.5 121,538 <---Short production year
1965 559,451
1966 607,568
1967 474,121
1968 317,404

....and then we skip a few years

The following are taken from the YMR page
2000 218,525
2001 167995 (includes Mustangs, Bullits, and Cobras)
2002 142404
2003 176262 (includes Mustangs, Cobras, Mach Is)

Somehow, I'm not following the logic. :shrug:

:stupid:

All u need to do is look at the classic Mustangs now. The 66 Mustang vert 289 that is sitting in my garage goes up in value every day. mostly, all the classic stangs w/ V8's in them are worth more. the Shelbys, GTs, A-codes, K-codes, Boss's, Machs, are worth some major bucks. its hard to find one going for less than $25K!!! a fully restored plain jane 68 coupe w/ a V8 in it is worth around $18-20K. Tell me how the car is worth less than what it was back in 1968!!! Those cars were no more than $5k back then. now they are worth almost quadruple (sp?) of what they were new in 1968! our cars will be worth something, w/o a doubt. just research the classics now and they will tell u all u need to know!

02 Sonic Blue said:
Guys I am planning on putting my car away after this summer for about 3 years, when it is stored it will have about 20,000 miles on it. I am planning on keeping this car as long as I live, barring all financial reasons, I am putting it away because I just don't have any use for it while I'm in college. And it is too tempting for me to spend money on it. I figure after I get it out of storage in 3 or 4 years, I will hopefully have a well paying job and I will be able to drop 10-15 grand into it. This car just has a lot of sentemental value in it, so there is really no chance of me selling it, but back to the question at hand. 20 years from now, will our cars be worth anything? Or are they just going to be an "old mustang?" What about if it is highly modified? Built motor, KB blower, and all the other mods to be done? Any chance that those things will help its value down the road? Any input would be great, and thanks for your help.

Drew

I don't think it will have any collector's value, and what little it might have will be diminished by any mods not enhanced.

Some very low production versions with a certain color or something might have some collector's value in 20 years when they are impossible to find or something, but not anything worth talking about.

Cars are depreciating assets, even if you let it sit in a garage for three years.