Will racing fuel at the track help my times?

aj1025

Jul 4, 2003
Tyler Texas
I'm just curious if the racing fuel that they sell at the track will help my times any, i've really never thought about this before but now i'm wondering if this lower my times any. Also will this fuel hurt my engine, i have off-road exhaust so i'm not woried about any cats. And also which fuel should i use, are there more than one to choose from? Hey thanks. :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Racing fuel will not help your times and may hurt unless you make a corresponding increase in timing. Racing fuel is high octane to prevent detonation. The higher octane is actually more stable and harder to ignite. Therefore, at a given amount of timing, you would probably lose power with racing fuel. Now, if you have a timing adjuster or ECU programmer and can increase your timing, you may be able to increase your HP. Then, you can run some racing fuel to help prevent detonation at the higher level of timing. Most people do this with a flip chip that has been dyno tuned.

You wont get a ounce more performance out of it unless you tune your engine to use the benefits of it (IE timing, like was allready stated).

...Racing fuel is high octane to prevent detonation. The higher octane is actually more stable and harder to ignite...

Nail. Head.

forpit2000gt said:
run 87 orm 89 octane
Hey thanks for all info on this, looks like I play it safe and just keep using 93 octane with my timing adjuster, i don't need to screw up a good engine. I was just curious about this because when i went to a big track last year i saw all kind of guys buying this race fuel, oh well i'll just find some other way of lowering my times. :bang: