Will Superchip Microtuner Adjust Speedo in 98?

98GTBlkConv

May 26, 2004
I just spoke to the guy who is installing my 3.73's this week. He suggested using a mictrotuner to adjust the speedo since it will be off after the installation. I agreed with him since I don't think I will ever install a s/c or do the PI headswap (at least for a while). So, I checked the superchips website and it doesn't look like the microtuner will adjust the speedo for pre 1999 models. Does anyone know whether or not this is true? Here is a link to the website: http://www.superchips.com/html/products/ford/1725adjust.htm. Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

stangchef said:
Buy a $10 speedo gear...problem solved!

www.dallasmustangs.com

Thanks for the advice. From what I have read on the forums, there is a problem with the speedo gears getting "chewed" up due to the increased number of teeth on the new gear. Adding more teeth has made them more brittle and the cars seem to chew them up. While I am not heavily modded (K&N FIPK, dual Flows), I am intending to add the Accufab plenum and intake. So, I thought the chip/tuner might make a little difference.

98GTBLK - It kind of depends on which trans you have but basically the tuner can't do anything to a 98 as far as the speedo is concerned. If you're AODE then perhaps you can adjust the shift points with the tuner, something that will come in very handy with the gears. If you're 5-spd. then the ONLY way to correct your speedo / odo is electronically with a calibrator, unless you want to open up the trans and replace the inner drive gear.

The 8-tooth drive gear of the GT T-45 5-spd. trans doesn't mate well with the white 23-tooth VSS gear and even if it did your speedo is still gonna be off with 3.73's. The 23-tooth VSS gear does however work pretty well in the 96-98 Cobras since their version of the T-45 uses a 7-tooth drive gear. It will shred in a GT... it's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when, in my case it was less than 500 miles. Get yourself a SpeedCal from Dallas Mustang, between that and the tuner you'll be set for sure.

BlueStangGT said:
98GTBLK - It kind of depends on which trans you have but basically the tuner can't do anything to a 98 as far as the speedo is concerned. If you're AODE then perhaps you can adjust the shift points with the tuner, something that will come in very handy with the gears. If you're 5-spd. then the ONLY way to correct your speedo / odo is electronically with a calibrator, unless you want to open up the trans and replace the inner drive gear.

The 8-tooth drive gear of the GT T-45 5-spd. trans doesn't mate well with the white 23-tooth VSS gear and even if it did your speedo is still gonna be off with 3.73's. The 23-tooth VSS gear does however work pretty well in the 96-98 Cobras since their version of the T-45 uses a 7-tooth drive gear. It will shred in a GT... it's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when, in my case it was less than 500 miles. Get yourself a SpeedCal from Dallas Mustang, between that and the tuner you'll be set for sure.
:stupid:

BlueStangGT said:

Thanks for the info. I do have a 5-speed so it looks like the microtuner will not readjust the speedo. Interesting! I wonder if I should test the guy installing the gears to see if he "knows" this is the case. He led me to believe that the tuner would make the adjustment. Hmm...I am aware of the speedcal, and was hoping not to have to install it. I guess I might have to anyway. Thanks again!

stimmler said:
I have it and NO it will not adjust the speedometer. Only thing I can do is read error codes and set for the performance calibration.

Hey! Thanks for responding to my post. How do you like the microtuner? Do you think the Accufab and plenum made a big difference to stock? I am considering the same type of setup you have already on your car. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

98GTBlkConv said:
Thanks for the info. I do have a 5-speed so it looks like the microtuner will not readjust the speedo. Interesting! I wonder if I should test the guy installing the gears to see if he "knows" this is the case. He led me to believe that the tuner would make the adjustment. Hmm...I am aware of the speedcal, and was hoping not to have to install it. I guess I might have to anyway. Thanks again!
No prob! Feel free to fire away if you have any other questions. Seems like I've tried nearly everything once with my 98, lol.

Looks like you're off to a pretty good start on your mods since you've already done the subframes, shifter, and now gears. There's not really much more to do that's going to have a great deal of significance until you do something about the heads or at least the intake, power-adders notwithstanding. The intake swap is cool and fairly inexpensive but doesn't yield the nice wide powerband that the headswap does... if it's in your budget I'd definitely recommend the heads! After that just about every bolt-on will help significantly (Exhaust, Plenum + TB, tuning, etc.) but with the stock intake and heads there's just not a great deal to be gained because everything is pretty well choked up.

98GTBlkConv said:
Hey! Thanks for responding to my post. How do you like the microtuner? Do you think the Accufab and plenum made a big difference to stock? I am considering the same type of setup you have already on your car. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

It was the single best improvement in power/cost that I have so far. It was a very noticable difference. I would recommend doing that before the tb+plenum combo as I did mine after the programmer. Putting the tb and plenum on after the tuner opened it up even further, not quite as dramatic, but definately worth it. I haven't dynoed yet but it feels like its right between a 99+ stock GT and a Mach 1. Its a pretty cost effective set up but I will probably need a custom tune with any more mods. I originally got the tuner thinking that I could do gears later (3.73's just like yours) and was kind of pissed when I found out it wouldn't which is one of the reasons why I chose it over hypertech, also the ability to look up error codes which both do now. Next I will be doing something big, supercharger pi swap and cams or engine swap still deciding. Been saving for a while.