Will these EFI valve covers clear Comp roller rockers?

• Sponsors (?)

Here is what you need to do...

Install the rockers and remove the baffle plate from the valve cover. Set the valve cover on the head w/o the gasket. The tricky part is knowing which part of the valve cover to grind down for clearance. Grind down the hi spot on the baffle flanges. Once you have clearance (meaning the valve cover sits flat on the head, w/o the gasket). No you can install the baffle plate. Some poeple have reportedly been able to use mechanical fasteners to bolt the stock baffle back in place. Another option is to weld the baffle in. Or, the baffle can be bonded in place with JBWeld or equivelant. Bonding will work because there is very little structural stress placed on the baffle. Also be sure to properly prepare the bonding surfaces.

Now that you have the baffle installed on the valve cover, double check the clearance, still w/o the gasket. The point of doing all this clearancing is to provide some margin of safety. If the clearance is adequate, you are free to bolt the vc on.

There may be other ways of doing this.

Good luck
jason

I am running the stock VC with comp cams 1.6 pro magnum rockers. We did have to grind out one or two of the baffles...but we also used a real thick cork gasket. i would also check without any gasket and grind out where neccesary. good luck man

A couple other things that just came to mind.

Supposedly, TrickFlow heads have a raised valve cover flange, by .300" if I remember?

Also, I don't think I mentioned using 2 rubber valve cover gaskets to help increase clearance. I would not recommend cork for this. Considering the cost of the reusable rubber gaskets, I would not ever recommend cork for any application.
just my opinion though.

vristang said:

Supposedly, TrickFlow heads have a raised valve cover flange, by .300" if I remember?

Also, I don't think I mentioned using 2 rubber valve cover gaskets to help increase clearance. I would not recommend cork for this. Considering the cost of the reusable rubber gaskets, I would not ever recommend cork for any application.
just my opinion though.

I have Edelbrock RPM heads. So you are suggesting to double up on these http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=1818 as opposed to the one thick cork gasket?

blackcloud50 said:
I have Edelbrock RPM heads. So you are suggesting to double up on these http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=1818 as opposed to the one thick cork gasket?

To ensure a good seal with cork you need to use silicone, which is a pain in the @$$ to remove when you have to adjust your rockers. Even if you don't use silicone, the cork material will deteriorate over time with heat cycling. The reusable rubber (like the ones from Ford) are very easy to clean up. A damp rag with some mild solvent does very well. The ones I have had for several years don't seem to be showing any signs of wear, despite having been removed countless times.
I think I purchased these at Napa or Schmucks, for less than $20. Not sure on the price though.

jason

vristang said:
To ensure a good seal with cork you need to use silicone, which is a pain in the @$$ to remove when you have to adjust your rockers. Even if you don't use silicone, the cork material will deteriorate over time with heat cycling. The reusable rubber (like the ones from Ford) are very easy to clean up. A damp rag with some mild solvent does very well. The ones I have had for several years don't seem to be showing any signs of wear, despite having been removed countless times.
I think I purchased these at Napa or Schmucks, for less than $20. Not sure on the price though.

jason

I have those reusable rubber ones on right now and I have been using and reusing them for a long time now. When I got these new covers (which I have yet to install), I purchased the thick corklam anticipating clearance issues. I wasn't too sure about attempting to double up on the Ford ones....Have many people done this with success (no leaks)?

blackcloud50 said:
I have those reusable rubber ones on right now and I have been using and reusing them for a long time now. When I got these new covers (which I have yet to install), I purchased the thick corklam anticipating clearance issues. I wasn't too sure about attempting to double up on the Ford ones....Have many people done this with success (no leaks)?

I can't think of anyone specifically, but it does seem fairly common. As long as you don't over torque they should hold up well.

Also, check how much clearance you have between the newly raised valve cover and the intake manifold and throttle body. I cut my intake down .3" and barely have any clearance between the TB cable and pass. valve cover.

vristang said:
I can't think of anyone specifically, but it does seem fairly common. As long as you don't over torque they should hold up well.

Also, check how much clearance you have between the newly raised valve cover and the intake manifold and throttle body. I cut my intake down .3" and barely have any clearance between the TB cable and pass. valve cover.

I should be OK with the TB area..Right now I have the DOWNS Ford covers which are pretty tall..I also run a 3/8" spacer

vristang said:

just my opinion though.

yeah they do got the raised flanges, I thought other heads were similar. After using rubber gaskets, I wouldnt recommend the cork either! that stuff sucks. Now if someone could just make resuable intake manifold gaskets that would be great.

Not sure if these Corklam gaskets are being mistaken for an older style cork gaskets or not but here is a description of them-

Counter blowout or high-vacuum conditions.

Certain engines, such as small block and big block Chevys, can produce high-vacuum or blowout conditions that can be big problems for many valve cover gaskets. Fel-Pro Performance CorkLam gaskets are designed to deal with those challenges. They have a metal core for extra strength, with a special cork-and-rubber compound bonded to both sides. This produces tough gaskets that can deal with problem engines, while also providing a little extra clearance between the valve cover and the valvetrain.

blackcloud50 said:
Not sure if these Corklam gaskets are being mistaken for an older style cork gaskets or not but here is a description of them-

Counter blowout or high-vacuum conditions.

Certain engines, such as small block and big block Chevys, can produce high-vacuum or blowout conditions that can be big problems for many valve cover gaskets. Fel-Pro Performance CorkLam gaskets are designed to deal with those challenges. They have a metal core for extra strength, with a special cork-and-rubber compound bonded to both sides. This produces tough gaskets that can deal with problem engines, while also providing a little extra clearance between the valve cover and the valvetrain.

Dang!
I was definitely mistaking corklam with the older cork gaskets. However I stand by my original recommendation of the reusable silicone (I think they are a silicone compound), because the cork would still deteriorate, and would be less durable to repeated removals.
Then again I have not seen these cork gaskets, and am working on the assumption that cork is still cork. If a composite cork material is being used, then I would reconsider.