will this engine combo be dissapointing?

VoODoo5Oh

Founding Member
Oct 14, 2000
miami fl
will this be a strong motor? what kind of power can you guys guesstimate?
i like to play on the highway(on ramps and exit ramps are fun too :D ) and cruise the streets ....i may concider a 6 psi kenne bell blower later on....will i have to swap the cam? will my compression be too high? and i know its not an importiant factor at all...but admit it guys...you know its always cool to hear a car with a wicked cam lope...will this have it? will i get beat by stock ls1's? any advise you can give me to make this a better setup??? i want to do things right the first time...thanks

331 stroker
AFR 165's
10.5:1 compression
CompCams XE274HR(.555int/.565ex lift and 224int/ 232ex duration)
which rocker arms? 1.6?1.7?
ported Cobra upper & lower
long tube headers
custom tune
the usual bolt ons & stuff in my sig....
am i missing something?

• Sponsors (?)

VoODoo5Oh said:
will this be a strong motor? what kind of power can you guys guesstimate?
i like to play on the highway(on ramps and exit ramps are fun too :D ) and cruise the streets ....i may concider a 6 psi kenne bell blower later on....will i have to swap the cam? will my compression be too high? and i know its not an importiant factor at all...but admit it guys...you know its always cool to hear a car with a wicked cam lope...will this have it? will i get beat by stock ls1's? any advise you can give me to make this a better setup??? i want to do things right the first time...thanks

331 stroker
AFR 165's
10.5:1 compression
CompCams XE274HR(.555int/.565ex lift and 224int/ 232ex duration)
which rocker arms? 1.6?1.7?
ported Cobra upper & lower
long tube headers
custom tune
the usual bolt ons & stuff in my sig....
am i missing something?

with a 331 you should go with the 185's over the 165's IMO. compression will be good if you wanna throw some nitrous on later. my comp. is 10.2:1.

I think the 1.6 rockers will get the job done, and I dont know of anyone running a big cam with 1.7's but i could be wrong.

on your cam, someone else will have to help there. I am not good with the cam mumbo jumbo (numbers! lol). My stage 3 lopes big time but I will probably go custom later. the lift is like .574/.595

the cobra is holding me back so i would imagine it would hold you back too.

with the 185's I think you could be in the 370+ to the wheels, depending on the cam (like the stage 3), definitely enough to eat up those ls1's. more with the better intake.

sounds like a pretty good combination though.

yeah...i figured the comp was too high for boost but i thought maybe i could get away with it with just 6 psi...will the lower compression take away a significant amount of power? the blower prolly wouldnt happen for awhile and im like a little kid...i want to play with my toy now...not later :) 370 to the wheels is repectable but i was hoping for a little more maybe about 30 more...can i squeeze it outta there keeping it n/a with the 185's? thanks for your advice....

oh..also...will the stock block take it? thnx

yeah you could get 400 to the wheels on the 185's but you need to plan for a very good cam and the right intake. you might maximize power with a custom. give ed curtis a call and talk to him about your combo and what you want. if it is realistic he will tell you what to do and what he can do for you.

you will lose some power going low comp. instead of high comp. but i couldnt tell you how much. you can go high now and later just swap to low comp. which is still only about 400-600 bucks.

370 to the wheels isnt bad either, thats about 425 at the fly. you would be surprised how strong a 400hp engine feels. of course you have to start thinking of drivability too.

I know someone with a 347, high comp. ported victor 5.0 intake, ported victor heads and it is only making 420 to the wheels.

stock block is good to about 500-550fwhp. get a girdle too!!!