Will this Griffin Rad work?

LONN17

Founding Member
Dec 1, 2000
Oceanport, NJ
... it appears to be almost the same dimensions as the stock radiator plus its made of Aluminum and has a built in fan and shroud all for $221.95....
http://store.summitracing.com/partd...891681+4294792833+4294792796+115&autoview=sku

(if link doesnt work its summit p/n GRI-2-28135-X)

Anyone have any experience with these? I have a mild 289/4spd. I'm going to grad school in the NYC metro area and I live in a Jersey shore town so I will be doing some Idling in traffic this summer. Car is a driver that will make it to the local dragstips (englishtown/atco/island once or twice) on occasion as I do more to it. I'm more intereseted in taking it to pocono but it will be a while before I can afford to start doing that.

Thanks,
Trevor

• Sponsors (?)

i am going to answer this question with summits own words;

Each Griffin drag race aluminum radiator with fan features die-formed tanks that are individually heliarc welded for strength and durability. They have lightweight aluminum radiator cores and two rows of tubing for greater tube-to-fin contact, along with a cooling fan. The bottom line is greater cooling capacity than stock radiators, without the weight. These drag race radiators are engineered for optimum cooling and less drag, for the lowest ET possible.

you want a radiator designed for the street, and this one is not.

The sentence before it states that it "has better cooling capacity than stock radiators" which is why I was curious. I havent driven my car in a couple of years but I recall that it only heated up when idling too long. Too be expected since I have a stock fan and no shroud.

I'll just get one of the griffin or "summit" models and add an elec. fan. The only reason I am replacing the rad, etc. and not just doing the schroud is because the current one has developed a leak for the last time. I figure it wont cost much more to go Al. w/ elec fan than getting another stock one and a shroud.

Trevor