Window Questions: Stoppers And Glass Play

blakteky

Jan 18, 2014
Good morning guys!

I'm new to StangNet and I just bought a '87 Hatch GT but I'm not new to cars.

I have my doors apart because the power windows weren't tracking correctly and were rather loose. Once apart, I found that the drivers side has had a number of parts replaced by a previous owner. The regulator rivets has been drilled and replaced with bolts and the glass is from a different car.
Here are some questions I can't seem to find answers to on the internet:
  1. On the passenger side, there are two half-dollar sized circles attached to the glass that hit the stoppers (L-brackets w/ 2 bolts) attached on the inside, top of the door. The drivers side has bigger (2"x2") plastic squares instead of the rubber circles. Did the original owner get the wrong but similar window from a donor car? (i.e. '88 Hatch or '87 Coupe) Can I use the goofy driver side door? What is the name for these parts? There are pics of the two DIFFERENT stoppers below.
  2. Once the passenger side was apart, I found that the guide bar bolts were less than finger tight which helped with most of the windows play, and the window goes up and down pretty well until I put it all the way down. Then it gets stuck and there is no motor noise and requires some significant tugging to get it out of it's rut. Is this also a simple adjustment issue? I don't believe it's the regulator since it's operating normally in all other positions.
  3. For both windows there is still 'rotational' play where the back end of the glass sags for a second, maybe about 1/4" when going up and straightens itself out once at the top. Is this normal? Can this be fixed? Is it just a matter of making small adjustments? It's not a huge problem but I'd imagine it's adding additional wear to the plastic bushings and looks pretty ghetto.
I think I'm going to order the guide bar bushings and the regulator bushings just to have all the wear items fresh. There are few thing more annoying than trying to make minor adjustments on worn out parts.

If there is something that isn't clear in my description or if you guys need more information, I'm happy to add anything or try to reword my descriptions for the sake of clarity.

Drivers side:
photo2_zpsa09dd22b.jpg

Passenger Side:
photo1_zps382340ba.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

I would replace the guide bushings first then see what you come up with. Also, the window can bind in the frame tracks. Make sure that it isn't jumping out of the groove at the bottom of it's travel. I believe the tracks can become torn or worn out which can allow the window to jump and bind. Make sure everything is nicely lubricated. Also, if someone has been in the door before make sure that the wiring harness doesn't interfere with the window operation. If they are misrouted (often due to larger speakers, too) they can get in the way of the regulator gear and cause problems.

I would replace the guide bushings first then see what you come up with. Also, the window can bind in the frame tracks. Make sure that it isn't jumping out of the groove at the bottom of it's travel. I believe the tracks can become torn or worn out which can allow the window to jump and bind. Make sure everything is nicely lubricated. Also, if someone has been in the door before make sure that the wiring harness doesn't interfere with the window operation. If they are misrouted (often due to larger speakers, too) they can get in the way of the regulator gear and cause problems.

Thank you for the reply. The guide bushings and regulator bushings are in the mail now and I will inspect the tracks during the bushing install. I think you're right that about the glass binding in the frame tracks, I will also check for any interference and post the results.

Could anyone give any insight on which type of glass "stopper" I should have on the drivers side door? (see pics)

Thanks,
Brian

Last edited: