Windshield Removal

geordie

Founding Member
May 10, 2002
I posted a thread a couple of weeks ago. Apologies in advance as this is somewhat a repeat of the same question.

I'm prepping my car (still) for sending it out to get painted. I want to remove the front and rear windshields as in addition to wanting to get it painted the Arizona sun has baked the rubber seals.

I've read a couple of brief accounts of how to do this and it's still not too clear to me. Here's what I think I need to do. Mine is a '65 Coupe.

1. Remove internal trim around the glass by unscrewing pieces.
2. Remove the external trim from around the seal. This is where I really need more explanation. :shrug: I believe the trim is attached to the body by clips, but I dont know what these look like. :shrug: It would appear that I need to wedge a thin blade from the outside of the glass, between the seal and the trim and lever the trim off.
3. Cut away the seal from the outside of the car with a sharp blade.
4. From the inside of the car push out the screen whilst a friend supports the glass from the outside.
5. Never lever the glass.

Guys. Does this sound right. :shrug: Does anyone have a picture of the clips that hold the external trim on and more detail on the best way to remove the external trim. Thanks in advance.:hail2:

• Sponsors (?)

Everthing is right except the part about cutting the seal. Use a putty knife to seperate the gasket from the body slightly. It should be sealed with asphalt sealant. Then use the putty knife to fold down the gasket from the inside starting at one corner while pushing on the glass and it will come out real easily. Clean all the old sealant off the gasket before reusing it.

OK guys, failed at the first hurdle. I bought a thin putty knife from Walmart and gently eased that between the outside rubber seal and the bright trim. Being very careful I was able to ease the knife along the length of the trim with no apparent sign of any clips.:shrug:

I went back to the books. Apparently I need some special tool K-D 2038 which is a shaped putty knife type thing with hooked ends which I can apparently use to dissengage the clips, which right now I can't see. Is this the type of tool which I could buy at Checkers? I can see them in the NPD catalogue but I'll have to wait a week for that.

I'd really like to see a picture, photo, sketch of these clips. Any more insight would be appreciated.

On my 68 and my brothers 66, the way I did it was (gently) lift the chrome piece away from the gasket (at inner perimeter). I then put a wide flat head screw driver in between the trim and rubber gasket and give it a palm of my hand whack. If you worry about possible denting it from the inside, I also covered the end of the screw driver with a rag as not to damge the thin metal. The easiest place to start is at the side trim at the top corners where the side piece overlaps the top piece.

There are trim tabs under there.

I had to remove my windshield and rear window about a month back and I really wrung my hands and fretted over how to get the trim off. After asking around on this site I jumped in with two screw drivers and got everything off without bending any of the trim.

My recommendations would be to start on the small side pieces first, down by a corner. Using your screwdriver strart prying up and working the screwdriver down the trim until you feel it run into a clip. Then I place the screwdriver right on the clip and pryed up. Since I have a 66, the clips would either let go of the trim or pull out attached to the trim. Either way, it worked great.

If the clips are different on a 65, it might be different.

Good luck.